Friday, February 04, 2005

Super Bowl Weekend

Its finally Friday! The day just couldn’t be better. I got up and did Pilates this morning, I’m wearing a favorite red sweater that I just got back from the dry cleaners (its almost like getting new clothes because it was sitting in the bottom of my hamper for months before I took it to be cleaned), we had a long-overdue official SOGWEAW lunch today at Baja Burrito (where I proceeded to eat my weight in chips and pineapple salsa), the sun is shining (finally!), and Ari and I are road-tripping it tonight to Lexington for a weekend visit to the Bluegrass State. Its funny- the 6th ranked Kentucky Wildcats (or 4th ranked, depending on which poll you look at) come to Nashville on Saturday, and I’ll be in Lexington. No matter- I will be with them in spirit as I cheer on my alma mater from their hometown.

Now, for those who are football-impaired (Ari) the Super Bowl is this Sunday. This means several things, but mainly food, folks, and fun, are in the near future. (Who else’s favorite literary device is alliteration? Who else besides me even HAS a favorite literary device?) So yes, the Philadelphia Eagles are taking on the reigning Super Bowl Champs, the New England Patriots. If you are a girl and don’t know which team to cheer for, I suggest you go for the Brady Bunch aka the Patriots, because their QB Tom Brady is a 27-year-old cutie-patootie. However, any Titans fans out there might want to root for the Eagles, because former Defensive End Jevon Kearse plays for Philly now. So take your pick. I really dont care either way. I guess Im pulling for the Eagles because theyre the underdog. Not caring about the game can be a great thing though, because this allows you time to socialize and eat during the plays, and then you can turn your attention to the TV for the commercials ($80,000 per second advertisers are paying) and the pre-game and half-time shows. Even though Paul McCartney is one of my “5 people on earth I’d like to meet” it does seem like a random choice for halftime entertainment, so I am curious to see what he comes up with. Alecia Keys is also performing during the pre-show doing some kind of Ray Charles tribute with a choir backing her up, so I am interested to see that as well.

For those totally ignorant about the Pigskin Parade, this article will help you prepare for any Super Bowl party you may attend, as well as help you to “intelligently” discuss the game (the writer of the article presumes the football-ignorant to be female, but males out there can take note too). I was appalled when I first read this article, but then realized the humor in the situation. Some people will actually read this editorial, and try to employ their lame tips to make others think they know an inkling about football. So I ask that you read this article not so you yourself will know what to do or say at a Super Bowl party, but so that you can call out any persons attempting to use the writers suggested lame lines. (“Well he’s no Peyton Manning”… PLEASE!!!)

So go be social. Enjoy the warm weather (esp. you Nashvillians- a high of 62 tomorrow!) and I’ll see you sometime on Monday when I make it back down this way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory
Fly Eagles Fly, score a touchdown 1-2-3
Hit 'em low, Hit 'em high, and watch our Eagles fly!!
Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!