Thursday, February 03, 2005

the simple life

Emily, Rhonda and I are celebrating our 4 month anniversary of living together in the Penthouse. 4 months really isn't a very long time, even though it seems like we have been roommates and known each other forever. Rhonda and I only met a year ago in October, and Emmy Sue and I are still working towards our one-year mark. To meet the three of us though it would seem that we had been chums long since. I thank the lovely Single Focus Group at Brentwood Baptist Church for bringing the three of us together. This group at BBC enabled me to make the transition easier from the just-graduated-college-and-moved-back-home to the hey-I'm-an-adult-now-living-and-working phase in my life. So much has changed in the past year and a half since I've been out of school, and it has helped to have Emily and Rhonda beside me going through the same things.

There is so much uncertainty upon graduating from college. All of a sudden you are supposed to know what you want to do for the rest of your life! I know I was supposed to have spent the past 4 years in school figuring out that very thing, but even upon entering college I felt that same pressure. I went to a big university because I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up (still working on that growing up part, by the way). And declaring a major was even scary because then you had, in a way, committed yourself to the career path you would have for the rest of your life. So at age 18 I'm supposed to know how I want to spend the next forty-plus years of my life? It's just too overwhelming!

Part of the trouble these days is that the sky's the limit as far as choices and opportunities go. If we have the gumption and the resources to back it, we can pretty much be anything we want to be, and I'm not just talking about the army. Don't you just long for those times of yore when a one-income household was sufficient? You are a young boy. Your father is a stone mason. He apprentices you, and teaches you the family biz and low and behold, you are the proud owner of your own stone masonry business that you will someday pass on the tricks of the trade to your own son. It gets even better if you're a woman. You don't even have to have a "second job." Your soul responsibility includes taking care of the household, taking care of the family, and learning all of these things from your mother who passes her knowledge down to you. There is no daycare. There is no waiting to have kids in order to get your career stable and in order. I yearn for those simpler times that have long vanished. We talk all the time about making life so unnecessarily difficult and stressful, yet we're caught in the rat-race that we can't escape. I watched as Holt conducted business calls while we were together after work one afternoon, and stood amazed at the glimpse of what corporate America has really become. And then I look at my own life and wonder how I will fit into all of that. Yes, I know we don't all have to be the business execs, but it's the driving force of our economy. If not that, then what? And is it really possible to get back to the simpler life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's all a matter of what your heart truly desires. if you want to be the corporate go-getter, well, you'd better go get 'er. if you want to be a stay-at-home mom (which is totally a full time job), more power (and blessings) to you. all you have to do is figure out what it is that you really want. no biggie. :) ~ari

Tadd said...

If you want it, you got it. If you want it, baby, you got it.

daddy b said...

..This is exactly why every little girl should stay home with their mommy and daddy, not go to college until they either know what they want to do,or have turned thirty..whichever comes first.