Friday, February 18, 2005

scalding to lukewarm in 0 to 60

Alright. I would like to share with you my gripe with hot beverages. More specifically, hot tea, but any warm liquid applies. You fix yourself a cup of hot tea (I've been drinking hot tea because it's better for you than coffee, yet I still get my wake-up caffeine), and then wait a moment for it to steep, throw away the tea bag, and carry the mug back to your desk. But you cannot yet imbibe the hot liquid. Oh no. Because you will almost certainly burn your tongue or worse, the roof of your mouth. So you sit the mug aside and do some work. Ha ha, I am only kidding of course. You check MSN for the third time that morning and see if any new headlines have popped up. Michael Jackson is now out of the hospital. Well that's just great. Duke lost again last night- 2 in a row, and this time to Virginia Tech- now that's really great, but alas, your hot tea is still too hot to drink. So you finish reading the MSN homepage, and then, okay, do some real work, when finally, you pick up your mug of warm delicious Earl Gray tea with cream and sugar, only to put the mug to your lips and grimace at the lukewarm substance. There is a small window of opportunity to drink your hot tea, and you have just missed the boat. Again. How does this continually happen?? It's either too hot or too cold but never just right. I feel like Goldilocks without the satisfaction of finding the last bowl of porridge. I think those Boston Tea Party guys knew what they were doing back in the day when they refused to drink Mr. Gray's lukewarm tea. "We shall not stand for a tea that is of unsuitable temperature to drink!" They exclaimed, as they dumped barrels of the British tea over the harbor. You'd think after a few centuries one would have figured out how to lure one's tea to the proper drinking temperature, and keep it there long enough so that one does not have to burn one's mouth, or else chug one's tea once it reaches perfection.

So here's my (resident) genius idea: I propose that we enhance the tea with a color-changing chemical. Like the hot rollers that turn from blue to white and back to blue again, letting you know when the rollers are hot enough to use, and cool enough to take out. Blue and white tea- now that would go over well in Lexington. But no, of course the tea doesn't have to be blue or white, but perhaps if some scientist discovered what temperature range is suitable for drinking a warm beverage and then they rigged the tea leaves to change colors once it reached that ideal temperature. Then all you'd have to do is glance at your tea mug every minute or two to see when it changed colors and enjoy the warm beverage at your convenience. I say it's brilliant. Tea drinkers of the world unite. We deserve to have a warm beverage to enjoy in the morning. I mean, heck, I'm giving up coffee for this. I should at least have a no-hassle replacement for it right?

4 comments:

emilyb said...

I can't tell you how many times I've scalded my mouth b/c I'm so impatient. I can never wait for the drink to cool off...and heaven forbid it get cold! I recommend the nano-sip technique. It's when you take tiny, tiny sips every 30 seconds or so. You can keep a good eye on it's temperature.

emilyb said...

Or a good tongue on it's temperature...whatever...

Rhonda Lu said...

"YES! BRILLIANT!!!!"

Jenni said...

I feel your pain. As I sit here I'm slurping down my tall caffe mocha b/c it's approaching near luke warm. I suggest taking your hot drink, walking around the building once outside with it so that you get a quick cool down to drinking temperature. Also, make a whole pot of tea, so that when your cup gets lukewarm, you can refill with the hot tea to warm it up. But never nuke it, that's just a taste disaster waiting to happen. :-)