Thursday, December 30, 2004

in his own words

I'm sure by now everyone has heard of the awful disaster of the Indian Ocean Earthquake and the tsunamis that followed. I have been wanting to comment on this tragedy but honestly just haven't known how. Just like after September 11th happened, it seemed pointless and crass to go back to "life as usual" after something so catastrophic. I by no means wanted to belittle the situation or simply comment on the event out of posterity, but I also could not ignore it. So while I still can't make heads or tails of the tsunamis, I know this. It reminded me just how powerful God is. As hard as it is to imagine, I believe God allowed this disaster to happen, the same way he allows everything to happen on this earth. Why, I have no idea. But that's why He's God, and I'm not. But instead of me rambling on, I stumbled across this blog. It's written by an American who was actually in Thailand when it happened, and I'm sure his take on the whole thing would be much more powerful to read than my ignorant ramblings. Also, Ryan has a link on his blog if you want to give directly to the relief funds that are set up to help the people of Asia. Our prayers are definitely with Rick and the many others who are affected directly by this terrible disaster, but remember dear friends, that actions speak louder than words. This earthquake and effects that followed have killed 3 and 4 times the number that were killed on 9/11. Please don't stand idley by and do nothing.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

That guy's blog is really interesting, the pictures are just incredible. It helps to bring the events into perspective for someone a world away, watching it unfold on CNN. As a nurse I wish I could be there to help by doing what I do, but I know that everyone around the world is feeling that way now. I love you GB, I'm thankful every day for you :-)