Friday, December 03, 2004

cringe-worthy phrases

Ok, I have given my roommates plenty of chances to blog both yesterday and today. Rhonda’s all whiney because she supposedly wrote a really long one but in the process of publishing it, it got "lost." Uh-huh. Sure. And Em is apparently too busy doing her Job to write anything. You know what I have to say to that? Some of us just have our priorities in order! Blog first. Work second. I really am looking for a new job- this one bores me to tears so I have to entertain myself by entertaining you, the loyal or happenstance reader. But I enjoy it, so no complaining. (or not much anyways.)

Today is a beautiful sunny Friday here in Franklin, TN. I just got back from getting my Baja Burrito fix with fellow SOGWEAW members Ari, Rhonda Lu, Angela, Emmy Sue, and Jennifer (Ali Joy, we miss you! Come back to us!). Mmmmm was it good. We took pleasure in making Emily blush by repeatedly using her least favorite phrase in the world:

"Man, that just hit the spot!"

I’ll bet she’s cringing just reading those words! Apparently there is some off-color implication there that I’ve never read into, so surprisingly, that’s one phrase that doesn’t bother yours truly. Now if we’re talking about penetration, cutlets, or slicing then that’s a different story. Are Emily and I alone here in having those phrases that make us cringe? For example, the phrase "loosey goosey" flew out of my mouth a few weeks ago with Laura, George, and Ari in the car. I don’t know if I’ve ever said that in my life, but for whatever reason it just popped out and I immediately regretted it while the words were still on my lips.
"What did I just say?" I thought to myself.
"What did you just say?" The others said aloud.
"Did you just use the phrase loosey goosey in a sentence?" Yes. Yes I did. But what an odd saying, don’t you think? Holt one time in college said she "had too many irons in the fire" and I just laughed at her. Who says that? And another favorite non-favorite phrase of mine is "For Pete’s sake."

Come on, I know I’m not the only one here. Enlighten the rest of the reading population so we can decide for ourselves on these anomalies of the English language, and then proceed to make fun of you for thinking these are weird sayings. Oh yes: and then we’ll make sure to say them every time we’re around you. Now doesn’t that just hit the spot?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember the joke "i just got in from ____ and boy are my arms tired"? well, it took me forever to actually get it. yes i know...but, honestly, why would your arms be tired? is the stewardess hitting it with the cart or does the person in the window seat keep getting up to use the restroom and you have to use your arms to get out of you seat? i just don't get it!! ~ari

Kel said...

Hi how you doing.. I really like ur blog, Im at www.piggypage.blogspot.com/ if u want to drop by, please feel free to comment.. always looking to make new friends and exchanging links if int cheers tt4n

emilyb said...

HA-LARIOUS!! (Although I am cringing) Another thing I can't stand is church hymns that repeat the word "blood". There's this Shane & Shane song that keeps saying, "Oh...the blood...the blood...wash me in the power of your blood...blood...BLOOD...BLOOD!!!" I mean, give me a BREAK, people. I mean, I am very thankful for the blood of Jesus...do not get me wrong. But must we repeat it over and over as if we're worshipping hemoglobin?!?

emilyb said...

Can I say "I mean" ONE MORE TIME?

Amanda said...

Worshipping hemoglobin!! I am dying laughing over here!! man, that laugh really hit the spot!

Rhonda Lu said...

HAHAHA @ the hemoglobin!!! "Loosey goosey" reminded me of a scene from Notting Hill. It's when Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts are climbing the fence and he slips or something and says "Whoopsie daisy!" and she's like "Did you just say 'whoopsie daisy'???" She continues on to say that only little girls in flower dresses with curls in their hair say "whoopsie daisy." It is really funny!

MamaB said...

Well---you know my favorite phrases: "we really cleaned their clocks"!!!and "people in hell want ice water"!!!and I can't remember any more but I know there are...be back in a jiffy!

Amanda said...

I thought of another one this morning: chompin' at the bit!

MamaB said...

How about this one: "everything is hunky dorey"--now what do you supposed "hunky dorey" means anyway.