Monday, December 06, 2004

Weekend Update

OK I have a new favorite, and I'm not even Alison Krauss. It's my LAUNCHcast radio from Yahoo! If you guys have not discovered this, you are missing out. (I have to give Miss A credit for being the first to tell me about this though.) You begin by choosing your favorite artists or genres for your personalized radio station to begin playing. Then as the songs play, their title/artist/album is displayed. You can rate the 3 of these, and the higher you rate the artist, the more your station plays him/her, and the higher you rate the album, the more tracks from it that are played, etc. You can also tell it what to play in other ways. There are 30-second commercials every few songs but I barely notice them anymore. You can also listen to the John Mayer Fan Station, or the Jazz Holiday station, or the Big Hits of the 80’s station. Anyway, it’s great and I look forward to sitting at my desk more now! Go to www.launch.yahoo.com to get started! Geez, you’d think they were paying me huh?

For the first time since I’ve moved to my new desk, the temperature in my room is above 60. Ha, you think I’m kidding. I wore 2 pair of socks last week and used my space heater. Today I wore a cardigan AND a pea coat, and it’s finally comfortable in here so I’ve taken the extra layers off. It’s a rainy day today. Blah. And it’s supposed to last through tomorrow.

Wow...what an exciting weekend I had! About 3 hours beforehand, I got tickets to go see Martina McBride’s Christmas Show on Friday night. It was really really good. Then I went home and crashed while watching Friends with Amanda. Emily was out of town all weekend (tear.) Saturday Amanda’s parents came over to watch the UK b-ball game (which we won’t mention) while I cleaned a little, washed clothes, and wrote Christmas cards. My crazy friend Ashley was coming into town from Memphis for a holiday party, so I went to eat with her at Las Palmas. I don’t know why people say their margaritas are so good because I wasn’t that impressed. Then we went back to her hotel and watched the first half of the Tennessee-Auburn SEC championship game. I can’t believe that the college football season is over. Very sad. Next year...gonna be FSU’s year. I told Amanda that she’s gotta get me into basketball, and yeah I’ll be a UK fan by default.

Saturday night was one for the record books. Rhonda, 18. Amanda, 69. No people, not that, but you’re getting warmer. (Hotttttter?) PS - Once you go tall, you never go back. So Miss A and I went to Tin Roof and had an uber-fun night! I will allow Amanda to expand on that if she chooses. One person we saw there was Adam, the cutie patootie that Emily knows, who was SO just that into her, but she never heard from again. So I walked past him, made eye contact, glared, and kept on walkin’! He gave me that I-know-you-from-somewhere look, and I just pray he figures out where he knows me from. Jerk. Grrrr. Guys, don’t mess with our heads. If you like us, be nice to us, get our number, and be a man and call us! If you don’t like us, just don’t be nice to us in the first place. The worst thing is the “nice” guys who actually aren’t interested in you back, they are just NICE. Maybe you should try the #1 pick-up line of 2004: “Hey, nice broach.” Way to seal the deal Benji :)

10 comments:

Amanda said...

AAHHH!! Sensory overload! So. Much. To. Comment. On. Where to begin?? I didn't get the Allison Krauss comment- please explain Rhonda Lu. As far as being cold at the office goes, space heaters have saved my life. And get a thermomter- that really makes your co-workers happy (she says dripping with sarcasm.) But yes, no mention of the basketball game. We are too busy swallowing our pride over here. I'll tell you what IS good at Las Palmas though- is their white cheese dip... mmmm Now don't get ahead of yourself Rhonda- college football is not over yet- there is still one last hurrah with the bowl games. Auburn still has a right to claim a co-national championship of they can clinch this last game. And finally, yes, the Tin Roof was surprisingly fun- not too crowded as it has tended to be in the past. And when we're talking 18 versus 69, we're talking about Friends. I have many more friends than Rhonda. It's the pink sparkley brooch that attracts them I think.

emilyb said...

The thing that is most annoying about the "Adam situation" is just not knowing. I mean, I got the message that he's not into me. I get that. But what I don't understand is why he went ga-ga over me that night if he's not into me? THAT is the real question. Discuss...

Amanda said...

alcoholic beverages perhaps? he didn't seem intoxicated to me, but then again, i am about the least observant person known to man.

emilyb said...

One more reason NOT to drink alcoholic beverages...you lead on the opposite sex. Or do you let your true feelings show? Some say alcohol makes you more honest. (I believe it)

Amanda said...

I don't.

Rhonda Lu said...

I actually DID have the white cheese dip at Las Palmas :) It didn't really hit the spot though....I've had better. ("I'VE HAD BETTER??!?!")

jillymae said...

yeesh! don't you guys get enough of each other at the Penthouse? :o)

Adam said...

I think the Las Palmas margaritas are so good because they're cheap, not because they taste halfway decent. Yours truly, Adam, but not "the" Adam.

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Hmmm...expresses interest initially....then NOT so interested, for no apparent reason.... Are you sure this isn't a woman we're talking about? HA! But I'm not bitter.

I'd say the comment about alcohol being a factor is probably the most accurate (not to mention obvious). Having been raised a Southern Baptist where alcohol was demonized (though gluttony, pride, and other vices were pretty much encouraged, oddly enough), I've never developed a taste for it in any form, so I'm no expert. But my observations and the wisdom of others indicate that meeting someone in a loud, dimly-lit room while one or more party is under the influence of a judgment-altering substance combined with the pressure of trying to make a good impression increases the probability of what I call the "Leah experience." In other words, one or both parties eventually wake up (literally or figuratively) and wonder how they ended up with this person next to them, and are mystified as to why their first impression was so off-target. Sometimes they wake up sooner, sometimes after years of marriage.

I'm not saying "you deserve to be disappointed" and I don't intend to imply any condemnation at all. I'm saying this is the common result of meeting under these circumstances. Of course, it happens when you meet 'em at church, too (sober, in a quiet, well-lit room, with sermons about finding God's will still echoing off the walls) so who knows. Maybe this guy has a split personality. Yeah, that's the ticket.

emilyb said...

Oh I'm sure it was the alcohol...you just wish every now and then that it didn't take booze to make a guy hit on you!