Monday, August 30, 2004

The day of john mayer

Alright already! I know it's been almost a week since my last post, but contrary to popular belief, I do have a job where I have to do work. I'll bet you all thought I had skipped town to tour with my fiancee John Mayer didn't you? Well, I'm not saying I didn't try to make that happen, but it was just not in the cards for me last Friday. That said, the day of John Mayer has come and gone. All that anticipation for one long day, and now what do I have to look forward to? I guess the Hurricane in the Caribbean will keep my attention for at least a few days. I always love seeing Jeff Morrow's reports on the incoming storm :) . So, our fun began on Thursday night with a mini slumber party with me, Rhonda, Lana, and Stockwell. The girls aren't much of morning people, so we decided it would be safer and easier if we were all in one place to get down to Tower Records for Friday morning's in store performance. And Stockwell just wouldn't leave the bed, so we had a 66-pound Bassadore crowding me and Lana all night. Rhonda got the daybed (RL did you have enough pillows?) 5 am hit and I went into Mom-mode, dragging myself out of bed and into the shower- (who gets up before the sun is out, honestly? I don't recommend it.) and then I had the task of waking up Lana and Rhonda. When all was said and done, we waited for about 5 hours to see John, and thank goodness I planned ahead so we had a blanket to sit on, snacks to munch on, and music to listen to while we waited. The in-store "show" was 4 songs masquerading as a performance, and I thought I was going to blow a gasket at the couple in front of me in their late 30s taking picture after picture of John during the show. They were right in my sight line. Now I'm as big a fan as the next gal, but come on, how many pictures of John playing the guitar, making the same painful, contorted face do you really need? (Here's one of John Mayer singing Come Back to Bed... and here's another of John playing Come Back to Bed... and looky here, here's yet another picture of John playing, you guessed it, Come back to Bed.) Next comes the part where we were herded like cattle through Tower Records to get our beloved hero's autograph. I am sad to report that it does not look like I will be quitting my job and touring with my soon-to-be hubby John anytime soon because there wasn't much time for a proposal. I kept trying to tell myself that he is just a person as the anticipation built while in line waiting to meet him, but the angel and devil on my shoulder were battling it out, and it went something like this:

angel: he's just a guy, Amanda.
devil: yes, but he is a famous rock star.
angel: but you enjoy his music- he is a talented musician- you like his use of 7th chords
devil: and he's attractive, rich, and famous
angel: not that that matters- I would like him just as much if he was a nobody
devil: sure you would...

All I could do was stand there grinning stupidly at the kid. I did manage to tell him my name when he asked, but that was about it. Oh- and I told him Welcome to Nashvegas- I could have kicked myself for that brilliant exchange. It was just very surreal to be in such close proximity to someone that I admire and respect so much, but it all happened so fast. We waited so long and then it was over. The three of us girls discussed this over a quick lunch at Logan's and then went back to my house and crashed for an hour and a half. Once again, I got to be the responsible one and get up first to wake the other two. (Apparently Rhonda's not an afternoon person either). We got ready all over again and headed out to Starwood for the concert. We arrived early to beat traffic, but behaved ourselves much more so than Lana & I did at the Dave Matthews Debacle. Maroon 5 was pretty good. The lead singer is the only band member with any personality and energy, but as a whole they were much better than they were in February when when Rhonda Lu and I saw them in Memfiss. John of course was spectacular, though a little self-indulgent on the blues numbers. Plus he got on some political kick that left Lana and I doing the whole sorority girl, high pitched HA-UH?? (as in, huuuhh, I don't get it?!) Once he stepped down off his political soapbox though he played one of my all-time favorite songs as an encore- Comfortable. I've decided this one goes in my top five all-time favorite songs, and this was the icing on the cake of a beautiful, albeit very long, day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

*grin* ~jill

Anonymous said...

This is Jon Cate. I can't believe I read an entire article about John Mayer that was posted on a web page that has Micheal Phelps' "Junk" hanging out. I really need a life. I hope everyone on this page is ready for the ulimate thrill of Tennessee Football this Sunday night, and si also preparing to vote for George W. in the upcoming election.

Amanda, can you elaborate on what happens when a girl "blows a gasket?" I am very interested to hear this. It sounds kind of redneck and perverted, what a great combination!!!

Anonymous said...

This is Jon Cate. I can't believe I read an entire article about John Mayer that was posted on a web page that has Micheal Phelps' "Junk" hanging out. I really need a life. I hope everyone on this page is ready to thoroughly enjoy God's greatest gift to all of us this Sunday, Tennessee Football. I keep pacing around the house just thinking about it. Also, may everyone who reads this please vote with conviction and morals this Novemember to re-elect George W. in the upcoming election.

Amanda, can you elaborate on what happens when a girl "blows a gasket?" I am very interested to hear this. It sounds kind of redneck and perverted, what a great combination!

Amanda said...

Hey now, no forcing your political beliefs on other people Jon! The important thing is that people get out and vote to celebrate my Election Day birthday. Now go ahead and force your beliefs on everyone about Tennessee football because I agree with you on that one :o)
You are just jealous of Michael Phelps' "junk" as you so eloquently put it, and finally, to blow a gasket, you filty-minded boy, is nothing redneck nor perverted, but it aint pretty- I'll give you that. It's what happens when Amanda loses her temper. It doesn't happen often, but most frequently occurs in resteraunts when servers try to charge me for salads I didn't order, or in cars when people drive in the left lane going under the speed limit. that really drives me crazy (pun intended)

Anonymous said...

This is Jon again. Do you prefer the word "package," or what about "Torpedo?" I wonder if he is pitching a tent under there?

Not what I was hoping for with the blown gasket. I know you've got something far more descriptive than that.

Only 5 days, 5 hours, and 50 minutes away.

Do parents read this site?

Anonymous said...

This is Jon again. Do you prefer the word "package," or what about "Torpedo?" I wonder if he is pitching a tent under there?

Not what I was hoping for with the blown gasket. I know you've got something far more descriptive than that.

Only 5 days, 5 hours, and 50 minutes away.

Do parents read this site?

Amanda said...

Jon, why do you keep repeating yourself? repeating yourself.

Anonymous said...

This is Jon. This thing is slow the first time, so I'm jumping the gun and hitting enter again. Now answer the question please...

Amanda said...

alright, then no, I don't think he's pitching a tent under there.

Anonymous said...

that's much better...thank you for finally posting something. too bad it had to be about john mayer (who is ugly by the way).