Wednesday, September 29, 2004

South Africa, baby

"If God is for us, then who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

So many emotions are running through my mind as it's almost time to leave.
Excited, about the amazing opportunity I've been given.
Apprehensive about the poverty and sickness I will see.
Humble that I, Amanda, have been called by God to do his work in such a hands-on way.
Nervous about being on a plane for that long (18.5 hours), over water, and winding up halfway across the globe. One cool thing that Em mentioned to me this morning before she left for Minneapolis (I tell you, you just can't hold these Penthouse Pets down!) was that the water will flow down the drain backwards b/c we'll be in the Southern hemisphere.
Sad because I will miss my family and friends, who are the first priority in my life next to following God (and even sometimes then, I let them take precedence anyways)
Hopeful that lives will be changed by this trip- both members of our team of 26, and also the people of Capetown.

There are so many more thoughts running through my head than that, but all in all, we're nervous about the plane ride, but excited about the rest. Check the SA Blog I created to get updates. I'll miss you all- esp. the ones of you I see on a daily basis. We'll have a big night out in Nashvegas the weekend I get back, o-tay butt-wheat?

2 comments:

Rhonda Lu said...

Ooooooo-tay Alfalfa! You got a deal!

(And now, my dramatic reenactment from Little Rascals: Alfalfa's letter to Darla.) "Dear Darla, I hate your stinkin' guts. You make me sick. You are scum in between my toes. Love, Alfalfa"

Thank you. Thank you.

MamaB said...

Woke my little Amanda up at 3AM this morning and only dear Amanda could manage to pull it together and look so cute when she left the house at 4Am decked out in her new pink shoes, pink comfie pants, pink shirt, pink hat, denim jacket and pretty little smile. She was so excited but scared at the same time......me too. I miss her dearly. Love, MamaB