Thursday, September 02, 2004

Gesundheit

This has to be quick since we're freakin busy this week at work, but I need to vent for a second. When you're in a room with somebody- say you're the only two people in the room, and the other person sneezes, isn't it common courtesy to say 'bless you,' 'gesundheit,' whatever? Now if you're out in the open somewhere and there is more than one other person around, by all means, pass the buck on to someone else- let them do the blessing. But when there is no one else in close proximity, it's just polite! In fact, I would venture to say it's downright rude not to, because after you sneeze there always seems to be that moment of awkwardness if no one acknowledges the fact that you have just sneezed. I have even been known to say 'Bless you' to strangers in stores simply because it feels awkward not to. Am I taking crazy pills here? Does anyone else agree? The reason I ask is that my coworker Dena never says 'Bless you' so I am forced to bless myself which also feels ackward. She's upsetting the social norm and it's a little unsettling. That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep in mind that sneezing is your body's way of cleaning out unwanted germs. (or one way of it anyway) but, i know what you mean, so in that case, i personally bless you for your next 20 sneezes in her presence. just email and i'll bless you right back. no need to thank me. i heart you...nuzzle.

Ryan Mac said...

I'm also busy...sorry for lack of blogs, no time to think about anything. I fall asleep everynight at 830-9, that's how tired I am. CRAZINESS! Stay Classy, Divas.