Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Cuddle parties?

I heard about this on the radio this morning as I was driving to work (yes, I'm old... yes, I listen to morning radio... I also was at the Doc yesterday to get my yearly check-up and was told that, good news, my cholesterol is low... to me, that's just another sign of being old- that they even check my cholesterol level). Anyways, so I happen to hear this fizzity on the radio this morning talking about some trip to New York that the radio station sent him on (please forgive the ending the sentence with a preposition). Apparently there is a new wave of parties happening in NYC called Cuddle Parties. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of (again, ignore the preposition- I'm in a rant here- no time for grammatical nitpicking). You wear your pajamas, pay $30, and show up to this cuddle party where everyone lays around on everyone else, snuggling, nuzzling, petting... whatever. And get this: there are RULES (see the website) and Cuddle Guards to enforce these rules. Now call me crazy, but it seems to me that this is a fancy facade to meet single people and arrange your own "private cuddle session" if you know what I mean. Honestly, who actually goes to these things?? Not your average citizen I would imagine, especially since they also offer "Girls only cuddle parties" and "Guys only cuddle parties." Only in New York would people pay for this.

In college we had free cuddle parties after study sessions. They were called Bed Parties, aptly named because after the exhaustion of studying for like the thousandth music history test, we would all pile on the person's bed, cuddle, laugh, talk, and detox our brains a little. But this was free, and it was among friends. No need for rules, because you knew everyone. No shady people to keep away from, unless said shady person happened to be a friend, and you just placed yourself away from that person in the cuddle pile. Easy enough.

The theory behind these NY cuddle parties is that we as adults have lost our inner child, and once puberty hit it became taboo to cuddle with our friends. I am hearby declaring to you all: do not pay for this ripoff ruse. Instead, organize a cuddle party among friends and reclaim your inner child. Put on your comfy clothes, pop in a movie, and enjoy the company of those you love, because cuddling with strangers is just weird.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss bed parties! we haven't had one in forever. do i have to schedule a music history test (on my honor, as a mucus-ologist...) to get one in order? and, if you'll remember correctly, there were times that we did the exact opposite of detoxing our brains. alcohol had it's part in a few bed parties, my dear. ok, i'm out like nascar.

Amanda said...

I think I wasn't there for that part... you guys didn't call me. I am specifically thinking about the time you guys watched the Ladies Man over at Seth's... but you know, 'I have half of a bed I'm not using...'

alemari said...

so do you think that a stranger from ny who you met on the internet would be invited to a cuddle party ... i mean bed party at the penthouse??? come on, i'll follow the rules :o)

Amanda said...

What did I just say about cuddling with strangers? If I wanted to cuddle with a stranger I'd drive to New York and shell out 30 bucks. Now if the stranger were to become a friend, now that's a horse of a different color.

MamaB said...

Cuddle parties---I remember those when you girls were little and then some when you were older. I miss those too.