Tuesday, November 16, 2004

the faith of a child

Last night I jumped into the land of teenager-dom and babysat for a lady from church. I was strangely looking forward to watching her two boys, ages 2 and 5, which I guess means I’ve gotten soft in my Old Age. Used to, you couldn’t PAY me to babysit- literally- I hated it. But last night was fun. I read to Micah, helped both the boys color, and my favorite- we watched Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer! Funny how those clay-mation mouths don’t fit as well with the words you’re hearing like they did when you were a kid. Both of the boys were in bed by 7:30 and that left me to find something on TV for an hour and a half till Rachel and David came home. Let me just say, there is Nothing on TV on Monday nights! I watched part of the Swan, and part of the Cowboys-Eagles game (Eddie George vs. Jevon Kearse- both former Titans… Please come back!!!).
Anyways- while putting Benjamin to bed, I asked him what he wanted to pray for that day. He said he would tell me his best parts of the day- the things he was thankful for.
"Ok," I said.
"I’m thankful for breakfast this morning," he told me, "and for getting to watch Rudolph twice, and for bedtime."
I couldn’t help but laugh to myself- I have never heard of a child thankful for going to bed- especially when they have a babysitter! But as I drove home last night I thought about his funny prayers, and how honest and simple they were. When was the last time my top 3 things to be thankful for during a day were a yummy meal, getting to watch a movie, and getting to sleep? I was reminded that we are told to come to God with the faith of a child, and how the simple things we take for granted are actually gifts from God we often fail to recognize. It challenged me to stop before I went to bed last night and thank God for the blessings of that day. Maybe our lives are naturally going to be more complex than 5-year-old Benjamin's, but there are still many simple gifts within a day that we too can be thankful for before we go to sleep at night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing. you put a big smile on my face. ~ari

Amanda said...

glad i could be of service ;)

MamaB said...

Simple statements from children are the best things. I remember when you were little and the simple things you said or did were the best parts of the day! Love you, Mom

Jenni said...

Kids are the best. I remember when Mom was sick and I took Ben and Mary (my babysitting clients for many years) over to our house for lunch and a movie. As we were driving away, Ben stuck his head out the car window and said to my mom, "You look much better Mrs. Stockwell. I hope your cancer goes away." He was 8 at the time. That was last summer. It was one of the most touching moments in life for me. We think that we need to teach children how to get along in the world, but they can teach us so much more about life.

Anonymous said...

hey slacker...i need something to entertain me. i've been waiting all week for some new insights. hand over those little pearls of your's. ~ari