Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Pretty Boy or Funny Man?

So I got into a lengthy discussion with several of my male coworkers at the end of the day today. I honestly can't even tell you how it began, but we were debating over which person you would rather be stranded on a desert island with- Brad Pitt or Vince Vaughn. I think some how Jennifer Anniston came up in conversation and we were discussing which actor she chose and why. Both are attractive men, both have fame and power, but it comes down to that age-old question of whether you would rather have a pretty face or someone who makes you laugh.


Time and time again I find myself always choosing the guy who makes me laugh over the pretty boy. To this day my friends Ben and Jon have a running joke about which one of them I "picked" the night I met them both (New Year's Eve, 1996). Both were nice-looking guys. Jon was extremely cute, but Ben was hilarious. Ben and I dated on and off for a while and I'm still good friends with both of them, but the fact remains that given the choice between the two, I chose the one for companionship that kept me entertained.

But those are real, everyday guys. When presented with the hypothetical choice of getting to pick between dating/having/marrying/whatevering Brad Pitt, my lifelong celebrity crush, or Vince vaughn, the hilarious new It-guy on the Hollywood scene, could I really say then that I would choose Vince over Brad? Could you?

Now before you answer too quickly, Joel saw this very Desert Island debate on a tv show and one of these guys edged out the other 51% to 49%- apparently I wasn't the only one who had trouble deciding which studmuffin to be stranded with either! Curious to know which guy won out? Post your responses and then I'll let you know who America picked.

11 comments:

ellen said...

Decisions, Decisions...I think I'd have to pick Mr. Vaughn though. He seems pretty down-to-earth in his interviews, plus Brad lost some points with me when he left Jenn and his marriage for Angelina.

MamaB said...

That decision didn't take long--I would pick Brad Pitt.

emilyb said...

This one is easy...Vince Vaughn. He's pretty AND funny. A dynamic combo!!!

emilyb said...

I meant dynamite combo...not dynamic. Oops

Sarah said...

Well, here's my issue. The only way we "know" these two is from the roles they play. I'm not denying that true personality often translates into being easily type-cast, but the fact is (in general) Brad is too pretty to get the funny roles and Vince is just not quite handsome enough to get the Cary Grant roles. I find them both attractive and funny. We all know Brad Pitt is fantastically good-looking, and anyone who has seen his appearance on Friends or his work in Ocean's 11/12 can't deny his wit and charm. Ultimately, I'd choose him. Not that I've given it much thought.....

Lisa T. said...

Even though i still have issues about dumping Jenn for Angelina, i'd have to still pick Brad Pitt, hands down!! i mean- look at him!

Adam said...

OMG. I would totally "whatever" Brad Pitt!!

Mary Anna said...

One word: adultery.

I'm gonna go with Mr. Vaughn on this one...especially now that he's quit smoking!

And besides... who's sayin' Mr. Vaughn is hard on the eyes? Not I said the fly. I'll have my funnies and my beefcake too, please...

Anonymous said...

Easy - Vince, without a doubt!!!

Anonymous said...

That last one was from me, LANA!!! Oops!

Amanda said...

As promised: in the TV survey, Brad edged out Vince 51% to 49%