Thursday, June 15, 2006

Don't Follow Me

This afternoon I was talking to a gal-pal of mine going through some relationship struggles. I knew exactly where she was coming from, and I wanted to tell her precisely how she should handle the situation, but I felt like a hypocrite in doing so, since when faced with the exact same scenario, I had chosen the road most traveled by.

This friend and I discussed how frustrating it is to know the right decision we need to make, but to willfully make the wrong choice instead. Paul laments this very behavior in Romans 7:

18 For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do- this I keep on doing.

22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law;23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.

That's when it hit me. Do you remember those assemblies in high school, I asked her, that STARS (students taking a right stand) would put on, where the inmates would come and one by one share their stories of what they did to get sent to prison? They would start with the tamer crimes and work their way up on the list of felonies, and after each one finished telling his horrific testimony, they would say,
"That's what I did, but Don't follow me."

They thrilled you with their dangerously exciting tales, and then scared you into becoming a good law-abiding citizen. Well that's what I'm telling you, friend, I said! Here's what I did, and sure it was fun at the time, and sure I knew it was wrong, but in the end it only caused more pain and heartache- so Don't Follow Me!

My gal-pal and I had a good laugh over this.

3 comments:

Mary Anna said...

This is making me guffaw just remembering our conversation. I have a feeling that the phrase, "Don't follow me," will be employed much in the coming months.

Seriously though, thank you for the support! Man, I have the greatest friends!

Sarah said...

A-men, A-men, A-MEN!

Hey, FYI: Don't follow me either.

Heather said...

Hey... I am coming to town!! Get excited!!