Thursday, January 26, 2006

Don't make me CattyWampas your sass.

So I've had the giggles all day today. It must be that the antibiotics are kicking in and I'm feeling back to my perky self. And the sun was shining today. And I was wearing pink pants. Yes, all these factors and more contributed to me being in a terrific mood. One thing in particular got me tickled, and I just had to share it with you the readers. A friend of mine whom you have read snippets about in the past on here named Maury stopped by my desk today. Don't ask me how the conversation began, but he was telling me all about how there is a method to how he does his hair, even though the finished result is a messy look, but one that was fixed that way very methodically. And then he busts out with,
"but it doesn't really matter, 'cause then these headsets we wear (at work) make it all cattywampused."
Pardon me, what?
I just started to laugh! I had never heard such a word in all my life. At first I thought it was a weird Alabamian thing, but as the day progressed and I kept asking Maury what the word was since I had forgotten it already- (codswalloped? catswallowed?) I found out that more and more people knew this word and could use it in context for me. Apparently it's slang for "disheveled" or "off-kilter."
There's also some kind of mythical feline called a wampas cat which supposedly resides in the hills of Tennessee among other places, so how come I've never heard of this animal or the adjective thereof that had me in stitches all day?
Plus i don't think I'm alone here in thinking that this is an extremely amusing term, and I promise if I ever move anywhere up north I will use the word cattywampas just to amuse the yankees. Oh, how they will love me. Even today, after spending so much time talking to my fellow co-workers who have accents far thicker than mine, did my fellow Nashvillian friend exclaim to me on the phone this afternoon, "you sound like Scarlet O'Hara!"
Guess it just goes to show you can take the wampas cat out of the hills, but you can't take the catywampus out of the cat.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

A. I can't believe you've never heard "Cattywampas!" My mother uses it maybe every other sentence, and it's a favorite around the Scott home. In fact, it's a pretty common word across the board in Lexington. There was a band that played at High on Rose named Cattawampus...interesting.

B. Kentucky WOMEN's basketball beats UT last night?! Hell is freezing over, I swear.

C. I wore pink pants yesterday too!

D. Spring is closer every day; let's all rejoice.

Anonymous said...

i've got your wampas cat right here.

http://members.tripod.com/~lindaluelinn/index-24.html

~ari (and i'm spent)

Jenni said...

I'm pretty sure I use the word on a regular basis up here in Yank-sylvania and no one has ever mentioned that it sounded uniquely Southern...as a matter of fact, I bet I've heard locals say it. I have a new friend at work though, a new grad nurse from Mobile Alabama that shares a longing for Sonic, says "fixin to," and makes the Nashville in me much more audible. The staff is getting a kick out of it.

Anonymous said...

Well the pink pants may make YOU feel happy, but those knee high black boots make your fellow co-workers much happier..... Well that and your freshly, fixed, flaxen hair!!!!

I have been a Tenn. native for all of my "--" years and have NEVER used that word, odd huh?

PEACE

Amanda said...

can you tell I'm surrounded by several male co-workers? I love them though- we boost each others' egos, and I have suddenly aquired several big brothers in the past year.

Thanks for the shout-out, Toe.