Monday, January 16, 2006

The Dreaded New Year's Resolutions

Yes, it's cliche. And you know you thought you were going to get away with not having a typical New Years Resolutions post on here, but like Mike says, the first person you lie to is yourself. So I'm posting these up for the world to see, to hold myself accountable.

Amanda's Goals for 2006:

1. Move to New York. If I don't do it now, while I'm young and unattatched, I never will. This has been put off till at least the spring while Mom and Dad get the whole moving thing under way, and gives me more time to prepare (ie, get head shots taken, prepare some standard monologues & songs, take more dance classes).

2. Which leads me to number 2: Have a meaningful relationship with a guy. I'm tired of being single. I have a wonderful group of girl friends, and no, I don't necessarily Need to be dating anyone, but it would be nice for someone to show interest in me, and me in them, for more than a week or two. I think the whole moving to New York thing will help this because I've lived in Nashville all my life (minus those 4 years in college) and haven't had any luck here. And we all know I'm all about the New York Italian men. Who are Christians. And can sing. And like sports. And fit the Fatty-McFunny body-type. Obviously I don't have much control over this one- but if the right guy shows up, I'll be ready.

3. Lose weight. And keep it off. Yes, it's an every year struggle for all of us. I am trying to be more consistent in my Pilates, avoid fried foods and cokes, and eat more vegetables. Guys, don't bother in telling your girl that she doesn't need to lose weight. You're fighting a losing battle because we always think that we need to.

4. Daily time in the scripture. I'll be honest. This has been such a struggle for me. I'll do well for a week, and then skip 2 weeks altogether. And it's not because I don't think about doing it- I just put it off. Why is spending time with my Savior so hard to "fit" into my schedule? This is a question that God is helping me answer, and I know that knowing His Word is an integral part in deepening my relationship with Him.

5. Learn to play the guitar. This should be an easy one for me, but I'm lazy so I tend to self-defeat before I ever attempt a task.

6. Along those same lines, Write a song. Again, I am so afraid of failing and writing something cliche that I never get any further than jotting down song ideas.

7. Pray for people when I say I'm going to. I'm not bad about this, but there's always room for improvement. I guess I want to deepen my prayer life in general, so I want to spend more time praying for those people and situations that I've committed to pray for, and not just send up a one sentence prayer on the fly.

8. Learn how to listen better so that I'll hear when God is speaking to me. Or rather, learn to be still and listen for His voice rather than talking a mile a minute in communication with Him. I don't know about you, but even when I'm quiet, my inner monologue never shuts up. No wonder I rarely hear God speaking to me when I pray!

9. Brush up on my German. My daily calendar at work with German words and phrases is helping with this, but it's another one of those goals that always gets pushed to the wayside. You never know when you're going to have to say, "That was a moving speech." That's today's phrase. "Das war eine bewegende Rede."

10. Create a budget and stick to it. Slowly but surely I am paying off school loans and those "emergency" purchases I put on my Mastercard before I knew or cared what credit card debt was. I need to save more, and learn how to gauge my spending habits to learn how to sacrifice and save for the things I want. New York City ain't cheap, so I need to save every penny I can.

Thath it. Thath All. Some admirable goals. Some necessary ones. Some frivolous. Some because I'm OCD and wanted an Even 10 for the list. I'm sure I could have thought of more, but this is a nice place to start for 2006. 40 is the new 30 I'm told, so I still have my entire life ahead of me.

If any of you are brave and/or narcissistic and want to post a few of your own, we can hold one another accountable.

4 comments:

Mark Kelly Hall said...

I don't really have my own to share, but here is some unsolicited feedback on yours:

"Guys, don't bother in telling your girl that she doesn't need to lose weight. You're fighting a losing battle because we always think that we need to."

--You clearly know nothing about getting along with women.


"And we all know I'm all about the New York Italian men. Who are Christians. And can sing. And like sports. And fit the Fatty-McFunny body-type."

--If you don't mind if he mixes family and business, I may know a guy. Are you nervous having guns in the house? And felons?


"5. Learn to play the guitar. This should be an easy one for me, but I'm lazy so I tend to self-defeat before I ever attempt a task."

--I tell people that all it takes is 10 minutes a day the rest of your life. It's not that easy for anyone, so don't feel bad if it seems difficult for you. I had the advantages of adolescent rock 'n' roll dreams, a youngest-child need for attention, and lots of time on my hands all through jr. high and high school because we lived in the boondocks and I didn't have a car or money.


"6. Along those same lines, Write a song. Again, I am so afraid of failing and writing something cliche that I never get any further than jotting down song ideas."

--Please! You're more eloquent by accident than most people are on their best day. And it's not like you're short on ideas, as this blog gives witness. What, you're intimidated by the success of those who call themselves songwriters...like me? Just let it out! It's not like you have to rush out with your first draft and audition for "Nashville Star"!


"8. Learn how to listen better so that I'll hear when God is speaking to me."

--I've been praying that God would show you this need in your life. HA!


"9. Brush up on my German."

--I didn't know you had a German. I thought you were after Italian men...?


* * *
word verification: xtpnkxz DEFINITION: The sound my mother makes when she stifles a sneeze

Bethany said...

Seriously Amanda, I agree with that Mark dude- you could actually turn almost all of your blog postings into really really cool songs. Just listen to Bob Dylan, Jill Phillips, Andrew Peterson, Andy Gullahorn, Joni Mitchel (which I know you have) etc.....I think your eloquence could take you far into the skies of songwriting heaven! :-) (okay, that was pretty cheesy- I, quite obviously, do not have your writing humor and eloquence!) :-)

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Here are some examples of what NOT to do. It never hurts to have some bad writing to give yourself that occasional boost of confidence.

http://www.blogmark.co.za/?q=node/3064

* * *
word verification: xgxma
DEFINITION: The sound my mother makes when she stifles a false-alarm sneeze

Tadd said...

Those are really good resolutions. I must admit that I have made none this year. But those are so good I think they can count for mine too. Hey, if you ever need a German tutor, Ich bin der Mann!