Sunday, January 29, 2006

recapping the weekend

Man, the weekends sure are packed- I was just sittting here trying to remember what i did on Friday night, and it feels like it was so long ago!! So it was a full weekend for me, although spent doing a lot of fun stuff but not being very productive. I'm feeling gulity now b/c I didn't help out around the house that much or accomplish any visible task. Hmm. Note to self. Must work on that for next weekend.

So okay- I'm not into video games (unless we're talking about old school Nintendo Dr. Mario or Supermariokart on super NES) but Brad Johnson and some others organized this massive Halo party over at Reagan's. For clarification purposes, Halo has nothing to do with angels. In fact, it's closer to the opposite. You basically win by walking around and killing other people. There were probably between 30 and 40 people there at one point, and we had 4 x-boxes hooked together and had 16 people playing at once. The guys had even borrowed a couple of projectors and screens so we had 12 people able to play in one room, and the other 4 people linked upstairs on a different TV. I'm telling you, these guys don't mess around when it comes to Halo! I of course had never played before and was reassured over and over by Brad that he would teach me. Instead he started the game and threw me into the wolves' den! I'm also not terrifc at multitasking and there were just too many buttons and controllers to deal with so I ended up getting killed alot more than I killed anyone. But that's okay, cause I'm not that keen on killing people anyways. Isn't keen a fun word? It's even better than Swell.

I met Mary Anna and Ashley Clark downtown at the seedy County Music Hall of Fame lounge to see my friends Mark and Maury play. The best moment of the night was when this obnoxious drunk guy hollared approvingly at a songwriter's song, as he screamed, That was freakin' awesome- pardon my language- but that was freakin awesome. Mary Anna just looked at me and died laughing (note- I am not censoring here- he actually did only say "freakin").

Saturday was spent out in the sunshine with my ipod and Stockwell as we took a nice long walk over at Crocket Park. The weather was absolutely glorious. I can't believe it's the end of January the way this weather has been. Which I guess also explains my cold that just won't go away. Later on I watched part of Back to the Future on tv and part of the senior bowl with Brad.

Saturday night was a girls night out (Laura: "Every night for you is Girls night." my response: "yeah, well- so?") We dined at Fiesta Azteca (good recommendation Beth- the margaritas were mighty stout!) and laughed our way through dinner the way one usually does when Lana is present. Favorite quotes from dinner include, but are not limited to,
"Oh- and i ran into my Eggs the other day..."
"Lana, where are you looking?"
"I'm not a lezbian."
"What's 7 plus 3?"
and many more.
We then had a blast standing in line to get into the Exit/In to see noneother than Mr. Cutie Patootie Dave Barnes. (Why was it so funny to "accidentally" keep poking that girl in front of us with your umbrella MA?) Poking fun at the bulk of barely 18 year olds in line with us, I kept asking the others if they'd done their algebra homework yet. i don't know- it seemed funny at the time.

Andy Davis opened and was good although he played my and Rhonda's least favorite song- this exploratory Schoenberg-esque song called "Fine China" or something like that- but I was glad to hear my fav too, "I never see you." Dave had a full band and played a ton of stuff off his brand spankin new album, Chasing Mississippi. I actually just had to say to myself M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-hump back- hump back- I to make sure I spelled that right! LOL. it's late. All that to say, I love his new stuff- esp a song called "Jackson." It's on his MySpace page right now, so if you're curious or bored you should check it out. Bummer that he didn't play my favorite, "LA song", but I can't complain too much b/c Marc Broussard was there and did the encore with him. At that moment in time I was happy to live in Nashville because guest artists tend to pop up at other people's shows quite frequently. It makes shows in Music City fun to go to. And I just ended that sentence with a preposition.

Aaaand, I'm spent.

2 comments:

Mary Anna said...

My favorite quote from Mr. Freakin was: "My face feels funny!"

Therefore: "I can't feel my teeth!"

How about Rhonda dropping her ticket on the floor??? The most important token of the evening was pinned on the floor under a strange woman's shoe! What would have happened if I hadn't of seen it---the horror!!!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to know that you find me so entertaining. You do a fair amount of entertaining yourself!! I love your blog! - LANA