Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Terrible Twosdays: We STILL don't like to potty

Continuing the trend of Terrible Twosdays, I offer up an update on potty training. I started hardcore potty training with Bradley in July of last year, and we are still going strong, but still in diapers. I never dreamed it would take this long! At first I put up an Elmo potty chart. The potty chart lists Monday-Sunday, with two weeks on the chart. Whoever potty trained their child in two weeks, is what I want to know?! I quickly learned this was going to take much longer than that. Every time he went on the potty, Bradley got a sticker on his chart. We used that chart until January. Two weeks, my @ss!

Then, in January, I bought a Toy Story 3 calendar. Most days Bradley gets one sticker per day, but on a really good day he'll get 3. He has big boy underwear that I put on him on the weekends, but most of the time, that ends up with me being scatter brained and forgetting he has them on, and him forgetting to tell me he has to go potty, and winds up with wet pants, and a change of clothes. And don't even get me started on going #2 on the potty, because this strong-willed child absolutely refuses to go poop on the potty. Refuses. I've tried bribing. So far it has not worked. One day last week he even went into the bathroom to poop in his diaper. So maybe we are getting close. I have no idea.

I saw this quote from another mom on a baby message board that I log onto frequently. We were all lamenting the woes of potty training.
My mom always said there are three things you can't "make" a child do:
1. You can't make them eat.
2. You can't make them smile.
3. You can't make them pee or poop.
I'd like to meet that mom and shake her hand because she is one smart lady. It's a good reminder for me in my lessons of insanity as I am constantly trying to make Bradley do all of the above. So for now, we are using a hybrid of diapers, pull-ups, and underwear, and I am just trying to rest easy knowing that Bradley will absolutely not wear diapers to his first day of kindergarten, so any time between now and then to give up the diapers completely is fine by me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hang in there! This too shall pass. We all have our own battles to fight, that's for sure. If it's not potty, it will be something else. Just smile and keep going, and remember tomorrow is a new day! I am loving the quote by that other mom - SO TRUE!!