Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Terrible Twosdays

In an effort to blog more consistently, I am toying with the idea of themed blogging days of the week, so I thought I'd give it a shot starting today  Terrible Twosdays suggests that these posts will provide a brief update on the life and anecdotes of my favorite two year old.
Yesterday you would have thought the world was ending.  Bradley got his first splinter.  I came into the scene mid-trauma from my yoga class, wherein mom & dad had already tried pulling the splinter out with tweezers, numbing it with ice and baby Oragel, and finally putting a little bit of Elmer's glue on the splinter site.  (Someone on the internet suggested this.)  After dinner, it was my happy task to gently peel the Elmer's glue off and see if the splinter came out with it.  I bribed Bradley with watching cartoons after dinner while I gathered my supplies- my "special tweezers" and a rubbing alcohol pad to sterilize the special tweezers.

I sat the little guy on my lap in hopes that he would obliviously watch cartoons while I examined the offending finger.  No such luck.  The child screamed and writhed in my arms as if I had just told him he could never see Buzz Lightyear again.  I called in the reinforcements, and even with mom helping to restrain Bradley, or dad trying to distract him, Bradley was jerking so much that I couldn't even look at his finger!  Finally after several tries, I went in for the kill, and ripped the Elmer's glue patch off his finger.  This remedy did not prove successful.  Off came the glue, but the splinter remained a fixture in the finger. My next idea was to give him a bath, so off to the bathroom we went, but not without a fight!  In all his distractions with me poking and prodding, he never got to watch cartoons!  The problem was, it was getting late, and we had already spent so much time trying to get him to calm down and be still so we could pull the dried glue off that there was no time for TV.  The tantrum that ensued was not about the splinter now, but the lack of TV.

Once this storm had blown over, it was bath time.  I was betting that a nice warm tub of soapy water would soften his skin and loosen the splinter.  After getting out and drying him off with his towel, I sat B in my lap and went back to work with my "special tweezers."  (For future reference, I thought calling them 'special' would intrigue him enough to distract him, and let me do what I needed to do, but kids are smarter than you give them credit for.)  Special or not, he was not about to let me anywhere near his sore finger with those tweezers. Reinforcements were called in again. 

This time after carefully timing my attempts with the tweezers to the rhythm of his jerks, in one swift motion I grabbed and pulled, and knew instantly that it was a success!  Upon calming down (finally) Bradley was able to see the tiny splinter that had been stuck in his index finger, and all was right with the world!

No comments: