Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Curse you, Cupid!

All of my best Valentine's Days have been spent with my fabulous single girl friends. The flip side of that of course is that I have very few experiences of being in an actual relationship on Valentine's Day.

Let's start from the beginning: Daniel Weathervane made me a homemade Valentine in Kindergarten and gave me a chandelier crystal as a gift. Very sweet and flattering, but I have no idea where Daniel is today. Jumping way ahead, Thomas DeMarcus and I spent V-day together my sophomore year in high school and attended the BHS-Franklin High School basketball game together, but at that point Thomas actually hadn't gotten up the guts to ask me out yet, so that doesn't count. Junior year Owen gave me a huge stuffed Teddy Bear that came to be known in my family for many years to come as the "Owen Bear" and it actually resembeled the giver of the gift. I eventually sold the Owen Bear in a yard sale a few years later and haven't regretted the decision since. Senior year I was with Grant. Grant and I went to see a movie (Message in a Bottle) and it was seriously one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen- I think I cried- not very romantic or sweet at all. And well, college, there were zero relationships of which to speak, so we're 0 for 4 there. There was also He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named a few years later, and that was long distance and certainly not filled with happy memories because he didn't even call me on Valentine's Day till 11 o'clock that night.

And here we are in 2007. I won't claim to have low self-esteem because a Hallmark Holiday reminds me that I'm not in a relationship, but it is just that- a reminder. Pink hearts and cards are everywhere, and is it so wrong to wistfully wish that the flowers sitting on a coworker's desk were for you for a change? I'm tired of hearing about how empowering it is to be single and for a change want to be honest about this dumb holiday- it sucks to be single on Valentine's Day! It doesn't matter how many cards you get from friends, how much chocolate you consume on the day, or what fun plans you have for the evening. It's just not the same as being in a relationship and spending the day with that special person! So there's my transparent moment for the day. Sorry to be Debbie Downer, and I sincerely hope each of you have a wonderful day, but I'll just be glad when it's over for another year.

4 comments:

Mary Anna said...

Wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh...

Look this up. It appears 3 times in the Song of Solomon:

2:7
3:5
8:4

Think the Lord is trying to tell us something?

Amanda said...

love you, but that doesn't help. I don't want answers or advice today, I just want silent company to acknowledge my feelings.

Mark Kelly Hall said...

...









[cough]

















I'm sorry, "Weathervane"? Really?

Oh, well, I tried. Happy Single Awareness Day.

Amanda said...

see Mark, now THAT'S funny! Thanks :o)