Wednesday, February 14, 2007

ok, so maybe Cupid doesn't suck so much after all

I know I was channeling the "bitter, party of one" vibe last night when I composed my anti-Valentine's Day blog. The day devoted to love is about halfway over and I am a big enough person to admit that it hasn't totally sucked. In fact, it's been a really good day. And while I still maintain that Valentine's Day to me would be more fun if I were in a relationship, I appreciate and value all the citizens out there who are embracing the day regardless if they're in a relationship or not. I especially think it's great for those single gals who declare their independence for the day and affirm that they are indeed single AND fabulous (see Emo & MAB's take on Valentine's Day for a more positive outlook!), but I represent the other half.

I am with the half who wants it to be okay to express a negative thought without everyone jumping down my throat, telling me I'm wrong for feeling lonely on Valentine's Day, and giving me some alternate/temporary solution to make me feel better. I appreciate more the person who can put their proverbial arm around me and say, "it's not wrong to feel this way, and it's gonna be okay-" because I know that it is. I know God's love is all that I need, and I know He loves me more than any Man ever can, but while I'm on this temporal Earth, God has given me the social desire to be paired up with a member of the opposite sex.

That said, here's my cheery, optomistic 14 things that make Valentine's Day great in the world of this DIVA!

1. snow flurries on the way to work! Like I always say, if it's going to be this dadgum cold, at least give me some white precipitation!

2. Valentine's e-cards from friends & family

3. the BBC Single Focus brunch that the guys of our Sunday school class put on for the girls this past weekend

4. an Excuse to wear pink (as if I ever need one!)

5. the anonymous person who for the past 2 years has left a single red rose on the desk of every female employee the morning of Valentine's day

6. a Chic-Fil-A chicken biscuit from my teamleader Jody. I used to eat these all the time, but since the new diet and workout plan took effect I've avoided them since August so this was a well-deserved treat!

7. Lindt chocolate truffle squares- foodgasmic- run to the store and buy these if you've never tried them!

8. I talked to a customer today whose named was Rick Crick. I kid you not. It made me smile!

9. An email from my sister Laura who offered that I could touch her weiner. Let me clarify. She has a miniature dachsund named Julius, aka, a weiner dog. It's a long-running joke that Laura loves weiners (both hotdogs & the canines)

10. a dress rehearsal tonight for some of the most difficult music I have ever sung, and now that performance time is almost here, the progress we've made as a choir has been very rewarding.

11. piggybacking on that, I get to sing tonight with the Nashville symphony in the new Symphony hall- always a treat.

12. dinner tonight after work with "my Valentine," Tadd at "our place"

13. the 3rd annual Chocolatepalooza party at our apartment, to which I will be late in arriving- save some chocolate fondue for me, girls!

14. my fabulous group of friends and family who encourage me, and remind me that God has everything in control even when I don't believe it for myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my weiner gave me a kiss to pass on to you as well. he says happy valentine's day and he wants to tickle you.
--laura

ellen said...

Don't worry Amanda, I'm right there with you! I love ya :)

Bethany said...

Great outlook on it, Manda. You don't always have exactly what we want and that's always hard sometimes, but there always things we can be thankful for now, and look forward to in the future!

Love you!

Mary Anna said...

You're definitely NOT wrong for feeling lonely on V-day (or any other day of the year for that matter). I feel lonely too. But I don't feel like the emotion of loneliness is mutually exclusive with a positive outlook on what God has planned for us. You're right---he did create us to be paired up with a member of the opposite sex. But we aren't right now. So what do we do with that?

I'm really glad you had a better Valentine's Day than you anticipated, and I'm proud of you for listing the things you found optimistic. And BTW, I enjoyed seeing your face last night, even if it was only for a few mins.

"You will be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord. For the Lord delights in you!"
--Isaiah 62:3-4

Anonymous said...

i heart you! nuzzle.
~ari