Thursday, February 15, 2007

2 months and counting!!!

Today is February 15th- that means 2 months from today is tax day, April 15th (yes folks, she can count AND walk & chew gum at the same time!). I always put my taxes off till the last minute, but not this year. (It would be so much more impressive to say that I've already gotten mine done, but I haven't.) I am however vowing to not put them off till the last minute. I used Turbo tax last year and it was something like $9.95 for the basic plan and did take a while to go through, but I felt that it was more thorough than the Telefile I had done in previous years. My only other complaint with Turbo Tax is that you do still have to print off a document and mail it in to the IRS to complete the process, so it's not entirely simple as point and click and fill in the blanks.

Are there any accountants out there who'd like to enlighten us with some tricks of the trade, or any of you mathematically-inclined/detail-oriented gurus who have some helpful hints from Heloise on the joys of filing your income tax returns? I dread the process because it takes so long, but it's just one of those things you've gotta do as an American citizen, kind of like putting up with Everybody Loves Raymond syndicated reruns (does anyone out there actually love Raymond anyways??) or watching the Chicago Cubs blow their chances at the World Series at the end of every season.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally hate Raymond. I wish they would put Seinfeld on again, I do love Seinfeld.
--laura

Bethany said...

No idea on the taxes..Jordan and I just scheduled a meeting with our accountant....don't trust ourselves. It's confusing though b/c we both work from home so there's no WAY I'd know all the right (& wrong) write-offs and stuff......

Mary Anna said...

Wow. That was a low blow. You know what I'm talking about.

Amanda said...

what MA? You do love Raymond? Okay. I apologize.

Mary Anna said...

You're just bastard people! Bastard people!

Anonymous said...

i know nothing of raymond, but i do know something about turbotax. it is fantastic and they have added a "file electronically" option this year, so no more mailing in any forms. i got my taxes done yesterday and for $14.99 and in under 45 minutes my taxes were over for another year. give it a second try (or a first try if you've never given it a go).
~ari

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Two words: "short form."