Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Round Here, we don't play our hits

This summer has been quite the season of concert-going for yours truly. Life is dull right now otherwise- I have to have Something to write about I suppose, so I continue to make the sacrifice of time and financial resources in order to have interesting blogging material. Are you appreciating this?

Monday night's latest musical venture was the Goo Goo Dolls/ Counting Crows show at Starwood. This was one of the shows that I was able to get $10 lawn seats for, so even though I would probably not go see either of these bands if they played by themselves or with a lesser-known opening act, together, they were quite the bargain billing. MA, Mason, Maury, and I got cozy on Clifford the Big Red Blanket and enjoyed the warm August evening while we waited for the show to begin. Rhonda and Joe came walking up to where we were and plopped down and announced that they had gotten bumped from their 5th row seat tickets that Joe had scored from a friend in "the biz" (PS- everyone in Nashville is either in The Biz, pretends to be in The Biz, or knows someone who is in the Biz). We start to make fun of them and are pleased at the thought of having 2 more friends to join us on our spot on the blanket. Not so fast. They then inform us that they have actually been upgraded to the 2nd row. Then after our good natured whining about how unfair that is, Joe makes a quick phone call and suddenly he is in posession once again of the 2 5th row seats and lo and behold, MA and I find ourselves standing face to face with the 2 bands for the rest of the evening! We felt bad about leaving the 2 guys in the lawn to fend for themselves, but come on, when presented with front row seats (we worked our way to a spot in the very front), what's a gal to do?

MA and I rocked out right next to the stage with Rhonda and Joe who also made their way up there and we even made it onto the Jumbo Tron several times, each time, receiving text messages from various friends in the crowd with phrases like "u were on the big screen" and "I just saw you." Yeah, we pretty much felt like rockstars ourselves and were the envy of all our friends and aquaintences who saw us up there.

The Goo Goo Dolls opened and I can't say it was an earth-shattering performance. They played all of their hits and did a pretty good job of keeping the crowd involved. My biggest complaint would be letting their creepy dread-locked bassist singing 2 songs. He sang one that said something about "your mom called" in the chorus, to which I shouted above the music to MA, "yeah, your mom called. She said to stop singing." Unfortunately, creepy bassist could not hear me over the awful screeching he was doing. The sound wasn't great for the band, but it was a descent set.

My whole reason for wanting to go though was for the Counting Crows. They have really grown on me the past year or two since I got their greatest hits cd, Films About Ghosts. Unfortunately for the casual fan like me, they didn't play a lot of their well-known hits. For the fanatic fan, they got to hear some unusual musical offerings, but for the rest of us, we left unsatisfied and a little bored at times. There's only so many times Adam Duritz can jump onto the monitors and I get excited. The whole mood onstage for them was mellow, and while Adam's vocals were clear as ever, the short set and the previously mentioned absense of crowd favorite renditions left me leaving Starwood a bit disapointed.

Bummer that I'm going to have to miss the (i Heart) Dave Barnes & Andy Davis show this Saturday in Nashvegas, but I'll be kareoking it up in Bucktown this weekend, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories to share.

2 comments:

Mary Anna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Anna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.