Monday, August 28, 2006

I can see clearly now the frames are on

We're reading a book in my small group called Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. I highly recommend it for any women out there seeking to find contentment in life from a Biblical standpoint. This week's chapter was entitled "A Faulty Focus." The author uses the example of her poor eyesight and how after having eye surgery she was able to focus and see more clearly; she was given a new vision. The chapter is about identifying your life purpose- what are living for, how do you ideally want to be living, and how are you going to get there?

Well the eyesight analogy really hit home for me. Most of you all know that I wear glasses. I've tried wearing contacts several times in my life, and for whatever reason, they don't work for me, so I'm supposed to wear my glasses all the time. However, I spend much of my day pulling them on and off my face because I hate to wear them. I hate how I look in them, I hate how I think I appear to others, and I hate being able to "see" their outline in my line of vision. So for most of my day I choose not to wear them, and as a result there are a lot of things I miss out on because I have chosen not to see them clearly with my glasses on.

All that is to say that the first thing in knowing what we want our focus to be (Christ), is that we have to want to change our curent focus (the world). We have to recognize that we're seeing things out of focus and take active steps to change that. Sometimes we know what that focus needs to be, and we even know how we need to get there, but we just choose to continue to see things blurry.

For me, that means that I know that it's dumb to not wear my glasses- I know that my reasons for not wanting to wear them should not outweigh my desire to be able to see things clearly around me. For some of us that means knowing what we were created to do, but not doing it. It can mean knowing how we are to live our lives as Believers but choosing to live under the blurry guidelines that the world has set in front of us instead.

Aside from challenging me to get over my disdain for my own spectacles, this chapter really challenged me to refocus my own life. What was I created to do, and how am I achieving that? Where do I see myself in 10 years at age 35, and where do I see myself at 80, and what do I need to change in my life now in order to get there? It was a good exercise for me to sit down and put these aspirations on paper and share them with my small group to hold me accountable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, is this your new mission and vision statement?
wow, how do i do it? i'm just that good. :)
~ari

MamaB said...

Maybe what the lesson is saying that if you would wear your frames all the time, you would stay focused in your life........mmmmm,now that's a thought, isn't it?

Mary Anna said...

Did you know that astigmatism means that your eyeballs are shaped like footballs?

I'm JUST sayin...