Wednesday, March 29, 2006

T for Two Thumbs Up

Ari & I had a DIVA night and spent a few hours after work talking wedding stuff and laughing before going to see a really cool movie. I used to do movie reviews on here all the time but I quit going to see them so often and the reviews fell by the wayside. However, V for Vendetta was one that made me think and kept me excited and interested the entire time, and one Bradley & Bryant would definitely recommend. Walking up to the ticket window at the theater I said, 2 T for tickets for V for Vendetta. The girl didn't even crack a smile!!! I was amused anyways.

I knew this was going to be one of those weird, futuristic comic book movies that I usually don't go for, but I am huge fan of Natalie Portman, so I wanted to see this film. The directors are the same guys that did The Matrix, and the main guy in the movie (the man behind the mask) is the bad guy from the Matrix/Elf king in LOTR. What I liked so much about the film was it's paralells with one of my favorite books, The Count of Monte Cristo, the allusion to current political and social issues, and even moreso, the symbolism that runs rampant through the movie. The number 5 (the roman numeral V) and the letter V are everywhere. One of the first speeches given by the masked character aptly named "V" has 55 words that start with the letter V, and at one point in the film, Beethoven's 5th symphony begins to play. At this I jumped with glee that the directors thought so much about minute details. It's a movie I'm sure yoou could watch over and over and discover new symbolism and new political references.

I guess I enjoyed it so much because it made me really think about current government issues and it was a game for me to discover as much symbolism as I could. If any of you locals want to go see it, I'd see it again with you.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I have been dying to see this! And now it's received an endorsement from you. GOTTA GO!!!

Mary Anna said...

I too am dying to see it....I wonder if Sarah could do the late movie Sat. night...

Anonymous said...

a very voracious vote verifying vociferous vies for "v for vendetta."
~ari

Robin said...

I'm going to see this today...can't wait...