Thursday, March 02, 2006

Choco-Not

Mardi Gras has came and went, and now the season of Lent is upon us. Lent never meant a whole lot to me growing up, except that my mom's side of the family is Catholic so they observed the whole, no meat on Friday thing. (What's the scriptual background of this anyways?) Also, my Papa used to always say he was giving up watermelon and golf for Lent- neither of which he liked, so it continues to be a running family joke.

Then I got to college and started to mature in my faith. Through Campus Crusade I started to see Christianity as a daily thing that impacted every decision I made; that it wasn't just about going to church on Sunday mornings. One of the things I started to do was give up something for Lent. It was a tangible way for me to sacrifice something small in my habital life to remind me of the greatest sacrifce that Christ made for me by dying on a cross.

This year mom and I are observing Lent together and have decided to give up chocolate. For the chocoholics that we are, Her moreso than me, it's going to be difficult. I would ask that you who know me neither offer me anything chocolate nor ask me to watch the movie Chocolat with you, as I must politely decline. The 6 weeks of no chocolate has begun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well played, Amanda... :) Hope you learn something new in your Lenten time this year!

Congrats on the big win - you played well, a little desperate (which was a good thing), and we can't stop a big man inside or realize that Rondo can't shoot outside 10 feet, so we decided to follow him to his layups all night long...

Regardless, a worthy win for the Blue Mist. But hey, didn't the checkerboard look cool? Yeah, I thought so too. :)

Have a fun weekend...

-E-

MamaB said...

Woo Hoo--I have made it through almost two days without any chocolate!!! How long is lent anyway????????????Just kidding!

Kobosky262 said...

Sister,
I am so impressed with your decision to refrain from chocolate...and I thought I had it rough. Love you and thinking of you at the chocolate table.

Mary Anna said...

My officemate is also giving up chocolate for Lent....it seems to me that this "chocolate" has great influential power...

Note to self: in the art of persuasion, pack chocolate.

Matt Kelley said...

Hey Amanda. Long time no see. Best of luck on your chocolate fast.

Matt...