Sunday, February 26, 2006

a weekend full of DTR'S

Whatever happened to weekends being restful???

I went as a leader on the BBC Middle School & High School girls Snowball Retreat this weekend in Pigeon Forge. Mary Anna was already going since she leads a 7th grade girls Lifegroup every Wednesday, and they needed more "adults" to go. It was weird being the "responsible" one- the one driving a Ginormous van full of girls, the one taking a nap during my precious hour of free time on Saturday- the one opting NOT to get in the hot-tub at the cabin. Mary Anna and I were in the Tiger's Den cabin together with 4 7th graders and 2 6th graders.

These girls were wonderful- they cleaned up after themselves, they said please and thank you- and a few of them even said "yes, ma'am" when I asked them a question- now ask me if THAT didn't make me feel old??? So did one of them telling me I looked like a teacher as we were all sitting around the kitchen table talking last night. "What the heck is that supposed to mean," I asked them. They said MA looked like a teacher too, but me more so. However, they redeemed themselves when they said I looked more like a 20 year old than a 25 year old. Although now that I think of it, it could have been b/c I was Acting like a 20 year old instead of a 25 year old.. Hmmm...

The theme of the weekend was DTR- Defining the Relationship. This was after I picked up in college in Campus Crusade- pretty much, it refers to "the talk" a guy and girl have when they're trying to determine the status of their relationship- we ask questions like, "are we just friends, are we dating, are we on the same page?" But these girls had never heard that term before. So the weekend was full of Bible story snapshots and how those characters in the stories defined their relationships with God, with their family, with their friends, and with other people who crossed their paths.

Mary Anna and I taught a group of 7th graders. We had a great group here too- some talkers, some quiet ones, but all of them seemed to really be listening and trying to take everything in. I think my favorite moment teaching came when we had just finished reading a passage in 1 Samuel that said David and Jonathan kissed and embraced- of course the girls giggled but MA had to go ahead and say, "well there's a Brokeback moment for ya!" I could have died! She and I found ourselves having to monitor ourselves quite a bit- you don't realize the normal topics of discussion and rap song references you would make on a normal basis until you have a bunch of impressionable 13 year olds in your midst. Luckily, the Brokeback Mountain reference rolled off their (broke) backs and none of them paid it any attention. Of course later that night while MA & I were trying to go to sleep, we had a good laugh over it. ("I wish I knew how to quit you, Jonathan!")

It is Sunday night now- I'm glad to be home- glad to be not eating any more junk food, and ready for a good night's sleep in my own bed! But it is definitely a weekend full of some fun memories.

1 comment:

Mary Anna said...

I'm still laughing at that Brokeback comment!