Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Girls Gone Wild Noodles

Saturday afternoon Ari, Angela, and I met our friend Sallie at Wild Noodles to celebrate Sallie's birthday. Not my favorite place in the world, but this time I tried the Mongolian Noodles and I must say, they were quite good. As with most asian dishes, they give you way too much food- rice and noodles are awfully filling- so I got to take the leftovers with me. My dad calls me the Leftover Queen- a title which I carry proudly around the house. We girls had a wonderful time talking- mostly about pregnancy stuff since sallie is due in April.

After this I met Tadd, Ann Teischer (she's one of those people who you have to say their first and last name together... like Sarah Scott or Mark Box), and Tadd's siter Briana at TGI Fridays. I have never laughed so much in 2 hours than I did this afternoon. Apparently in college Tadd told Ann that the restaraunt used to be called TGIF Riday's and that it was owned by Mr. Riday. Thank Goodness It's Friday Riday's. And Ann believed him! I made a comment about Tadd and his roommate carpooling home for the weekend from UT, and Tadd comes back with some remark about a swimming pool and the cost to fill the car up with water. The 4 of us danced to the 80's music that was playing overhead and making complete idiots of ourselves in the restaraunt. Every time I see Tadd new inside jokes are created ("The first cut is the deepest.") and we laugh at the fact that we still use old inside jokes (UK? yeah thanks I'm fine) without remembering how they started (That was like 2 days ago. I didn't like it that much.)

After helping Laura write her paper (Who came first? Aristotle or Plato?) she and I met Ari & Angela at Cross Corner bar in Brentwood to watch the UK (yeah thanks, I'm fine) game. We'll skip over that since the game isn't worth mentioning, but since Bart was out of town, Ari was ready to paint the town Blue. Laura headed back to the 'Boro while we 3 (kings) headed to the shadiest spot in Brentwood. Really- I challenge you to find a worse place than the Brentwood Pub. We walked in and every eye was on us- not because we were uber cute but rather because we were about 20 years younger than almost every person in there.

We bought a round and sat down at a table, and were entertained by a local band called Dead Country (Hillbilly rock you can dance to, was what their card read). Even more entertaining was the clientele who came all the way from Gallatin to see this band play. I even managed to make a new best friend that evening. An older lady in her 60s wearing a hideous yellow sweater with trees and houses on it was making a fool out of herself on the dance floor, and we gals enjoyed laughing at the alcohol-induced inhibitions of she and her north-of-Nashville friends. Later on I walked into the ladies' room and found noneother than our yellow-clad granny. Now mind you, this bathroom is a Onsie, and drunk grandma has neglected to lock the door. Instead of allowing me the courtesy to leave, she drops her pants in front of me and proceeds to pee. All the while I'm standing there, in front of the huge mirror, but trying not to make eye contact with her as she chit chats. Seconds later she finishes her business but does not flush!!! It's as if we are now close companions and she expects me to use the bathroom on top of what's allready there. Totally horrified at this point, I am wondering how I can avoid turn about fair play and having her wait for me to also use the bathroom. I'm also realizing that while the situation isn't funny at all right now, it will be in about 5 minutes when i can relay the entire experience with Ari and Angela. I stall as long as I can and to my utter relief the intoxicated elder in the yellow shirt leaves. I promptly lock the door behind her. And then I flush the toilet. You can guess what happens next so I'll skip that part.

The rest of the evening is more of the same- drunk people from Gallatin harassing us- oh, and this one classy lady who had an abomination of a purse that looked like cotton candy. Now you know me, and you know I like pink, but this thing was hideous. And when I say lady, she was in her late 30s- waaaayyy to old to be carrying anything like that anyways. i mean, even for a 12 year old this bag would be debatable. So towards the end of the night I hear this woman telling her friends about her purse. "It's pink mink," she said. I busted out laughing and had to look the other way. I Hope she was kidding???

If you want a list of trendy spots to hit in Nashville I'm your girl. And if you want to heed my advice and never ever go to the Brentwood Pub, lest you get kicked out for snickering at all the patrons, then that would be okay too. I'm just trying to look out for your best interests.

PS- A that aint right picture just would not have done this night justice. Now if we had gotten some video footage, now That would have been handy. Take my word for it, and spend your Saturday nights elsewhere in the Brent 'hood.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, 'Manda, just a quick look-ahead to what I hope is a future blog subject... the untimely demise of the Blue Mist in Rupp... my condolences, by the way, on your recent loss(es). Hoping you can pull your head out of that Brentwood Pub toilet to comment at some point on last night's, um... festivities!

And I know, I know, I know... we haven't won nuthin' yet, but as long as I can get in while the gettin's good, then I'm there...

Yep-yep. That's how we roll; bringing in Kentucky rejects to light up Rupp like a dadgum Christmas tree...

Holla atcha boy.

-E-

University of Tennessee
Class of '93, '94
Graduate of the Wade Houston Era

ann said...

See what you do is...you take your box of tiddlies.......

Anonymous said...

don't forget about the also-inebriated 40-50-ish woman (5 kids at home) who proceeded to kick the door in (to the bathroom) while angela and i were still in there, then proceeded to expound upon the only reason she did that was because she always wanted to be wonder woman. oh, ok. that makes it better.
~ari

Amanda said...

Eric, as you may not have noticed, but when Vanderbilt beat the Vols at home this year in football I was not calling each and every one of you to rub it in your face. So I'll thank you kindly for not bringing up UK basketball to me.

wow, is it cold in here or is it just me and my icey stares through my computer screen?

Mark Kelly Hall said...

"...not because we were uber cute but rather because we were about 20 years younger than almost every person in there."

Hey, don't underestimate yourself...I'll bet you were at least 25 years younger.
* * *
Word Verification: guaeu
Definition: The opposite of "stop" when you are Inspector Clouseau

Tadd said...

Amanda, I smiled the entire time I read your blog. Nice work, indeed. I think you captured the essence of our afternoon together. And I am so weirded out by the story of the 60 year old free-peeing grandma! What in the world???

Heather said...

would you be interested in a live-in nanny in manhattan?

Anonymous said...

Socrates:Plato:Aristotle:Alexander

Who was the realist? Who was the Idealist??

--Laura