Thursday, October 27, 2005

Cacti cookies, anyone?

I knew the day was going to be a fun one when I had a customer this morning ask for an orchestration to go along with his Avocado (instead of Octavo.) (You see where one could get confused) (An octavo is just a fancy name for a single piece of music, FYI).

And then...

If you can't laugh at yourself, well then, you just shouldn't laugh at others.

I sent out an email to my entire Singles class this morning asking them to sign up to bring Deserts on Saturday, not once, not twice, but 3 times (a lady) in the email- and then in the subject line! (So even the losers who deleted the email without even reading it would have seen my mistake in the title!) This is the kind of thing that I would laugh at mercilessly and forward to all my grammatically-obsessed friends (read: Mark, Ari, Em, MA, & Joel to name a few). "Can you believe that idiot asked me to bring a Desert?" I would write to them incredulously. "ha ha! Which one should I sign up for? The Sahara or the Gobi?"

What's worse is that I didn't realize my horrible error until one well-meaning (and probably smirking) soul sent me a reply that said simply, "I think you mean desserts."

I sat there with a sinking feeling in my stomach. What should I do? I could ignore my error and rest in the fact that most people wouldn't realize my mistake and pretend it never happened. But I just couldn't stand the thought that there would be that select few that would notice, and smirk, and would think me dumb or uneducated.

"Don't people proofread their emails before sending them out to a mass of people??!!" This is what my thought process would be, were I to read an email such as mine.

No. I could not ignore the ordeal. I had to face it head on. So I responded appropriately with wit and sarcasm. Email title: Correction, desserts needed. "Ha ha, can you tell I'm tired and preoccupied this morning? Of Course I do not want sand and cacti brought on Saturday, nor do we want mirages of desserts- just the real deal please." That is not an exact quote, but it was something to that effect.

I hope you all will not dessert me as a friend due to my stupidity, or force me to remain with my head buried in the sand. Please just laugh and point along with me, and then let's just put this whole ordeal behind us, like trails in the sand.

7 comments:

Mary Anna said...

I'm mortified for you... Public displays of grammatical error are sooooooo embarrassing...

FYI---SATC episode coming up soon dealing with this issue...

Anonymous said...

like sands through the hour glass, so are the mistakes of our grammar.
~ari

Sarah said...

Though I did notice the error in the original email, I appreciated your willingness to publically correct the spelling. Those of us who have received previous correspondence from you know that wit and meticulous spelling and phrasing are your M.O. (ie the Cinderall reference in another GDofS email). No smirks here, just grimmaces of empathy.

Queen Diva 01 said...

Hey Amanda! I was checking out my sister's basically now defunct blog and came across yours. Love it!

I once misspelled Einstein on QOTD. The QOTD Customer Service Dept. received several notices about the gramatical mishap. It just comes with the territory when you write in the public eye. But, a retraction notice is all you can do.

Anywho, a little trick my 5th grade teacher taught me to learn the difference between dessert and desert. Because a champion speller, I am not. Dessert has two S's- think Sweet Stuff. Desert with one only S - think Sand.

Keep your chin up soldier!
-Angie Bowman
PS - I'm thinking about resurrecting QOTD, blogstyle baby.

Anonymous said...

Bring QOTD back... please... the people demand it!!

-E-

Amanda said...

I agree Queen Diva- QOTD has been quiet for too long- the masses are getting restless.

Heather said...

DEFUNCT?? You callin' my blog defunct?? People work, you know. REAL HARD. Not always got the time to manuscript and recap the priceless moments of their day.

As for QOTD... BIG TALK... we all are waiting. Don't disappoint by not living up to your word.

Amanda, I have no enchanting or witty words for you and your spelling mishap. If I had gotten your email, I too, probably would have laughed and pointed and responded with some sarcastic response. I am secretly glad that you did... I have been slaving over what to get you for your birthday. Webster's on his way...