Friday, July 22, 2011

Whistle While You Work (and Sing)

I've noticed an astonishing number of songs with catchy whistle hooks as of late.  I'm not sure how or why this trend has taken hold, but just today I heard 3 of these on the radio, and I'm sure there are more.
  • Home- Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
  • Tighten Up- The Black Keys
  • Foster The People- Pumped Up Kicks
  • Good Life- One Republic 
Then of course, there are these classic whistling ditties:
  • Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay – Otis Redding
  • Wind Of Change – The Scorpions
  • Don't Worry Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin
  • Walk Like An Egyptian – The Bangles
I guess Frauline Maria and the Seven Dwarfs had the right idea.  Whistling does make ones work go by faster, and more cheerfully.  Has anyone else noticed this trend?  What other songs am I missing? 

No comments: