Friday, July 30, 2010

Brother Dennis-isms

Y'all have to know how much I loved my pastor at Midway Baptist Church in Florida.  He was a big teddy bear of a man, a great storyteller, had the best sense of humor, was ultra-conservative, and was an unapologetic preacher of the Word of God.  He simply tells it like it is... and then embellishes a little bit to make a great story!

I have a journal where I keep track of quotes I like, and I went through my journal last night where I keep all my sermon notes and found these jewels that I then transferred to my quotes journal.  They are so funny and simple and profound that I thought I'd share some of them with y'all.
  • All sunshine and no rain makes a desert.
  • You have to do away with stinkin' thinkin'.
  • Stop worrying, or worrying will stop you.
  • There's no U-haul pulled behind a hearse.
  • Stop being in a hurry when God's not.
  • If you want a king, be a queen.
  • You can't have all jelly beans and no green beans.
  • Sometimes it's the bland leading the bland.
  • Don't give to get... unless you're giving to get to give!
  • You can't be a leader without being a follower first.
  • Never confuse your net worth with your self worth.
  • I always sing that prison music.  You know, where you're always behind a few bars huntin' for a key!
  • Money talks.  It says "Bye!"
  • You can't unscramble an egg.
  • Anything with no head is dead, and 2 heads is a freak show (referring to wives submitting to their husbands)! 
  • There are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents.

No comments: