Monday, May 07, 2007

The Joy of Moving

Yep, it's about that time. Time for the Bradleys to make their arduous trek across town to the new digs in Franklin. Before that can happen though (just one week from today) we still have a lot of possessions to pack. Dad assembled a ramp on our deck stairs to shoot boxes down so we wouldn't have to walk the boxes down a second flight of stairs. This weekend, the ramp became known as "the Floom" and we took turns being the "Floomer" ie. the person who knelt at the top the deck and announced what was in the box so dad would know how heavy the box was and the fragility of the contents inside, and then sent the box flying down the floom one by one. Once during the process Saturday afternoon me, mom, and Laura all wound up outside on the deck at the same time.

"What's everyone doing?" I think I asked.
"Floom draws a crowd," dad replied. I don't know why this was so funny, but it became an oft- quoted phrase for the rest of the weekend, and I imagine the rest of this week as well.

Saturday morning was the dreaded yard sale. Thankfully we got rid of a lot of stuff, mostly old furniture before the rain came and shut us down around 1:30. I detest yard sales with every fiber of my being, but I sucked it up and made the best of a bad situation.
"I'm in sales," I said to my mom. "And one thing I've learned is this. The point at the end of the day is not how much of a discount did you have to give, it's whether or not you made the sale. So I can do this."

And I did just that. I got $10 for something a man only wanted to pay $8 for, and got a few other good sales too. Anyways- the point of a yard sale is not to make money, it's to get rid of junk, and at least most of the big stuff is gone.

That said, if any of you out there want your very own exercise equipment, you just let me know, cause that stuff wasn't going anywhere!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda! What kind of exercise equipment are you talking about? I'm in the market . . . building a home gym in my garage . . . "Backyard Bodies by Bowman."

We need to meet for a burrito sometime soon! See why I need to build that gym?!? HA!

ANGIE B.

Mary Anna said...

"Floom draws a crowd." Yes. Love it.

Rifling through someone else's junk is SO much fun!