Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Confederacy of Dunces

April is behind us, and the book club that Mary Anna founded for our friends at the beginning of the year is still going strong! Each month we meet at someone's place, the hostess provides food and directs the discussion, then afterwards we vote on next month's book and choose a new hostess. It's been a great way to get us all reading more, and reading things we wouldn't necessarily read on our own. So far we've read:

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
The Kiterunner by Khaled Hosseini
Best American Short Stories 2001 various authors, edited by Barbara Kingsolver

Last Thursday Lana hosted and we discussed the collection of short stories that we had read for April's book of choice. Amid the drastically differing opinions on each story, we had some great conversation and I think we each appreciated the stories more having heard why different people loved or hated a particular story. Afterwards, Lana procured the list of possible choices for May's book choice. She began to read the first title then decided it was too much of an effort to read the list, so she handed it over to me. I read aloud: "fiction. The Confederacy of Dunkas." I paused. Why did that not make sense to me? Oh. It would be because the word was Dunces, not Dunkas. Duh. And the laughter began, and the irony was too much for us to handle. We've now decided that our new book club group will be known as the Confederacy of Dunces, and I'm not only the president, I'm also a client.

By the way, in case you're reading along with us, May's book will be The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

SOOOOO! Guess what...Jeannette Walls is married to my second cousin John Taylor from the worldly and ever-eloquent pen wielding branch of the Payne family of Lone Mountain TN. He and his father, Jay Taylor, are also accomplished authors. Check out by John Taylor:

Falling: The Story of One Marriage

The Count and the Confession: A True Murder Mystery

Storming the Magic Kingdom

If you're into East Asian Non-fiction check out the elder Jay Taylor's work:

The Dragon and the Wild Goose: China and India

The Generalissimo's Son
Chiang Ching-kuo and the Revolutions in China and Taiwan

That's my claim to fame. I will never be famous for working the night shift as a nurse so I will settle for claiming my second cousins and their book fame. :-)

I have come across a LOT of people who are reading the Glass Castle though...Jeanette was on Oprah after all...

Mary Anna said...

Just think... If I hadn't of been sick and missed book club meeting, yall would've never shared a blonde moment, that may quite possibly be one of the funniest things I've heard in a very long time. Love it. Dunkas-ass.