Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Favorite Least-Favorite Christmas Songs

I finally heard my favorite least-favorite Christmas song today- Paul McCartney's Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime. Normally I would say the Brit could do no wrong (although Ebony & Ivory is questionable as well) but the cheesy synthesizer is enough for me to simply declare this the worst Christmas song. A close second would be the vocally-grating Wilson Phillips' Hey Santa. You can hear this one on the overhead music at the mall or at a Brentwood Chic-Fil-A if your name is Tadd.

The one favorite-favorite I haven't heard this year is (jiggity jig- hee haw hee haw it's) Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey. Is 98 still playing this one this year? Due to my current living situation and hence shortened commute to work in the morning, I have missed this catchy little tune on the radio.


One that I can't decide if it is favorite-favorite or favorite least-favorite is I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. It's cute but gets stuck in your head.

Any opinions on these or other beloved or be-hated Christmas songs?

3 comments:

Big Blue Barry said...

thanks Amanda... just reading about the awful Wilson Phillips' song has now got me singing it in my head. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

jillymae said...

some of my personal favs are "Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Guaraldi and the Peanuts gang (you gotta love Charlie Brown) and "Here Comes Santa Claus" by Elvis - i swear it sounds like he is bouncing while singing this song, it cracks me up!

Mark Kelly Hall said...

(still playing catchup):

Worst line ever sung by one of the best pop singers ever:

"Logs on the fire
Fill me with desire..."

Carpenters, "Merry Christmas, Darling"
perpetrated by Frank Pooler & Richard Carpenter


Of course the writers tried to make up for it in the next line:

"...To see you and to say
That I wish you Merry Christmas..."


(nice try, but you lost me at "logs")

(word verification: fpjkem
The sound the vacuum cleaner makes when it eats a Popsicle wrapper)