Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Daily Walk This Way

I'll be honest... at my lowest of the low this past spring I was getting up early and reading and praying every morning. Lately as I've felt less desperate for God, and more self-assured, I haven't done as good a job of doing my daily quiet times. Truthfully, I am probably reading my Bible 3 nights a week right now, and my conversations with God are short and sweet. The only place I've been devoted is in praying with Bradley every single night before bed. It's part of our bedtime routine. But how can I raise Bradley to know that God loves him and cares for him when I'm not truly modeling that dependence on God myself by making quiet times a priority? What I really need is my own bedtime routine, or first-thing-in-the-morning routine, to make my daily time spent reading my Bible and talking things out with Jesus more habitual again. I'm about to have some serious accountability though.


Our church is launching an initiative called the Daily Walk to help its members read through the Bible in a year. It begins Friday, October 1st, starting with a few chapters in the book of Matthew, and finishing up 2010 with the book of Revelation. That's right- between now and the end of the year we will complete the entire New Testament.  You can click here on this link every day and it will tell you what chapters to read. It even has a link to the chapters online so you can read the chapters right from the convenience of your computer if you so choose.

On one hand, if you're not currently reading your Bible daily, this is a great way to start. On the other hand, a girl in my Sunday school class brought up this point- even if you are reading your Bible religiously every day (pun intended), how powerful must it be to have so many believers reading the same scripture every day together?

I am excited about doing this, and have the added accountability that mom and dad are also going to be reading daily along with me. I'd love to know if other BBC-ers are doing this too, or even if any other friends & family would like to join me and Daily Walk this way with me!

3 comments:

Anna W. said...

Ever since the move and HG's birth I have been completely pathetic in my bible reading, so I would love to follow this guide! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

I want to do this. I'm going to do this. Love it! And miss Brentwood Baptist, even though we have a really great church here. Miss you all the time too!

Christy Nicholson said...

Hey! I found the link to your blog when you replied to my Babycenter post about delivering at Centennial....and I know you! We went to BHS together. Small world. :-)