Friday, January 15, 2010

A Tender Tennessee Christmas

The weekend of New Year's, Bradley and I made a trip up to Tennessee to celebrate a belated Christmas. To those of you who don't "get" the title of this blog, it's the name of a horribly cheesy (and yes, real) song that trust me, you don't want to hear if you can help it.
On our way up from FL we stopped in Birmingham to visit my aunt Peggy and uncle Jack. Peggy fed us a yummy lunch and gave us a chance to stretch our legs before jumping back in the car for the remaining 2 1/2 hours of the trip. (Usually by myself with Bradley it takes between 7 and 8 hours total.)

Once we got to mom and dad's on the 30th, we were able to celebrate a belated Christmas and open presents from each other. I took a picture of the mantle because I love all of mom's Christmas decorations. The Santa (or Ho Ho as Bradley calls him) is one that hung in my Grandma Huber's house. All our stockings are hung from the banister and railing, and who's stocking do you think is the biggest??? You can see "Mo Mo" peeking out from the top there.

Here's Bradley giving hugs to "Pa pa." Just a few days before we came to Tennessee, Bradley starting saying Papa whenever we would read the "Grandpa & Me" Karen Katz book. Of course dad loved hearing this, and it made my mom so mad because Bradley wouldn't come close to saying Grandma. She tried all weekend while we were there to get him to say Grandma or Mimi- anything resembling Grandma. Now it seems that we've figured out that for now, Bradley sees a picture of them together and if you ask him who each person is, he calls them both Papa. I suppose that's okay for now.

Here's Laura and I with our beautifully wrapped "packages." We don't know why, but all of a sudden, mom started calling all the presents, packages, a word she doesn't normally use, so it sounded out of place.

I was so proud of finding dad this treasure at Walmart- a small bottle of English Leather cologne! He used to wear this when I was a kid, so it brought back all kinds of memories when he put some on.

What do you get an 18 month old? Puzzles apparently. Lots and lots of wooden puzzles with small pieces that wind up all over my house. Bradley received 5 or 6 wooden puzzles I think from Grandma and Grandpa B. Bradley had fun letting Grandma "help" him with all of them.

George and Juju, flashing their pearly whites for the camera
For some reason everyone thinks it's funny to give my child candy and junk food when he's at Grandma and Grandpa's, because he rarely gets it at home. Yep, Bradley shoved an entire marshmellow peep in his mouth and ate the whole thing.


George and I have been obsessed with the movie Inglourious Basterds after seeing it together in the fall, so we unknowingly got it for each other for Christmas. Here are the BFF's posing with the movie that's all about "Killin' Nat-sees."

Bradley in front of the tree with all of his presents

Bradley tuckered out before opening all of his gifts the night before, so the morning of New Year's Eve, he opened the remaining few. One of these last "packages" was a T ball set. Grandpa B helped Bradley learn how to hold the bat and swing level. Amazingly, the kid still eats, throws, and now bats, left-handed, just like his dad, and his Grandpa B!

Speaking of Grandpa B, I caught him playing with Bradley's toys!
More fun than his new toys were the plastic lights on the breakable tree. Every chance he got, B would climb the stairs and reach through to grab the lights. On more than one occasion we found them in his mouth! The tree then got moved to a safer, more childproof location.

Carrying on our tradition of hiding the pickle ornament on the Christmas tree, I arose victorious now for the 3rd year running I believe! I found the pickle ornament first and thus became the recipient of a $15 iTunes gift card! Take that, sis!
We are so thankful to live within driving distance from Grandma and Grandpa B as well as aunt Laura and uncle George. I know that may not always be the case, so I'm enjoying it while we can! A Christmas celebrated late is better than none celebrated at all!

2 comments:

Anna W. said...

Tender Tennessee Christmas is like, the best song everrrrrrrr. Ha. Haha. Hahaha. Cute pics!

MamaB said...

This blog makes me miss you all. I wish it were Christmas every day of the year.....although I would be worn out all the time...