Sunday, January 20, 2013

Movie Review: Zero Dark Thirty

Zero Dark Thirty, directed by Kathryn Bigelow (Oscar winning director of the Hurt Locker, and formerly married to James Cameron), staring Jessica Chastain and a bunch of other men, is based on a true story centering around the CIA hunt for and capture of Osama Bin Laden.  Jessica Chastain just won the Golden Globe for best actress and is the frontrunner to get an Oscar for her performance.  I haven't seen any of the other Best Actress noms this year, but they all seem like a bunch of randoms so it will shock me if Chastain doesn't win.

Here are my take-aways from the movie:
  • this movie is long (over 1 1/2 hours) and it feels every bit that long
  • It's interesting to see how Bin Laden's hideout was finally discovered and ultimately raided
  • the film focuses exclusively on Chastain's character Maya, a CIA agent.  Other characters (predominantly men) wander in and out of the film, but for the most part, names aren't given, and you don't know who any of them are.  This was annoying.
  • Hey, Tony Soprano's in this movie!  Who is he supposed to be?  I dunno.  Some CIA big wig.
  • Maya likes to say Mother Effer a LOT.
  • Zero Dark Thirty does nothing for the tourism industry in Pakistan.
  • I must have missed the one insignificant line in the film that references the title.
  • Kudos to a prominent female director for tackling a subject matter like this with a strong female lead
  • Call me cinematically uncivilized, but this film was a character study on Chastain's character, and I am not particularly fond of Chastain as a matter of personal preference.
  • I'm giving this one thumb up.  It was long, it drug, and it was a little more conversation, a lot less action than I would have preferred.

No comments: