Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Product Review: Sally Hansen Salon Effects


Sally Hansen Salon Effects are a fun way to get a unique and long-lasting manicure.  They are nail polish sticker strips that you smooth on, peel the edges away, and the end result is a really fun mani.

My sister bought these for me on a whim when we were shopping together at Target before Christmas.  One box is $7, and I wasn't willing to splurge, but she insisted and got them for me as a stocking stuffer.  I was instructed to pick out a design that was fun and something I would never be able to do myself with regular nail polish, so I
selected a silver/black argyle print.

For someone with smaller/shorter nails, I have read reviews where people can get by with 2 applications in one box.  My nails are such that I was only able to get one manicure out of the box.  The product claims the polish will last for up to ten days, and I have found that to be true.  I wore the polish for 15 or 16 days, and though the tips chipped probably around Day 10 or 12, the chipping isn't very noticeable (maybe because my chosen nail effects were a pattern so it's less noticeable) so I was able to stretch out the manicure.

The downside is that it took me about an hour to apply the strips one night, and that one package costs as much as an average-priced bottle of nail polish.  The polish is also industrial strength and took me at least 9 cotton balls soaked in nail polish remover to remove the product.

The upside is that you get a unique manicure (available patterns include cool metalics, animal prints, and
geometric designs) without the cost of a professional manicure, and it lasts about 2 weeks.  There's no waiting on drying time, and I have received tons of compliments on my nails since using this innovative product.  I'm sure that if you wore them enough, you would become more speedy in applying them, too.


So there you go.  That's my non-expert 2 cents.  I'd love to hear from you if you've used these yourself.

No comments: