Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I was born in the afternoon,

... just not yesterday afternoon!

A coworker emailed me just now needing some classic Motown song titles. So I shot off a few, and then stared at the word "Motown," thinking to myself, I wonder how they came upon that name to classify the music originating in Detroit. Then it occurred to me. Detroit is the Motor City, or Motor Town, MoTown for short! Don't laugh- maybe some of you out there have never put two and two together before either. I just figured I'd enlighten the rest of you. Or else give you a cheap laugh at my expense. Whichever category you fall under, may you have a pleasant Hump Day.

3 comments:

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Actually, the name came from when Detroit was a small Michigan town and the city fathers initiated a large expansion of the city limits into the surrounding suburbs. Their slogan was "We like Detroit...but we want mo' town." The name stuck.


(I'll be looking for this on a forwarded e-mail--that's where this kind of fiction usually ends up) ; D

MamaB said...

I can just picture that little lightbulb going on over your head when you discovered that! HAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

you never cease to amaze me...
-laura