Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Noms are out

In building up to the main event, The Academy Awards, which will take place Sunday, February 25, 2007,

I'd love to hear some of your predictions for the winners. There are quite a few movies I wanted to see in the theater that I never got around to seeing, and I will try and remedy this before the awards take place, but here are my current predictions for some of the biggies. All noms for these categories are listed, the ones in bold are my pics:

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Leonardo DiCaprio in “Blood Diamond”
Ryan Gosling in “Half Nelson”
Peter O’Toole in “Venus”
Will Smith in “The Pursuit of Happyness”
Forest Whitaker in “The Last King of Scotland”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Alan Arkin in “Little Miss Sunshine”
Jackie Earle Haley in “Little Children”
Djimon Hounsou in “Blood Diamond”
Eddie Murphy in “Dreamgirls”
Mark Wahlberg in “The Departed”

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Penélope Cruz in “Volver”
Judi Dench in “Notes on a Scandal”
Helen Mirren in “The Queen”
Meryl Streep in “The Devil Wears Prada”
Kate Winslet in “Little Children”

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Adriana Barraza in “Babel”
Cate Blanchett in “Notes on a Scandal”
Abigail Breslin in “Little Miss Sunshine”
Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls”
Rinko Kikuchi in “Babel”

Achievement in directing

“Babel” Alejandro González Iñárritu
“The Departed” Martin Scorsese
“Letters from Iwo Jima” Clint Eastwood
“The Queen” Stephen Frears
“United 93” Paul Greengrass

Best motion picture of the year

“Babel”
“The Departed”
“Letters from Iwo Jima”
“Little Miss Sunshine”
“The Queen”

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Well since the only one of those that I've seen was "Pursuit of Happyness," I can't really add too much. In fact, I actually haven't heard of mosts of those flicks.

Oh well....

Mary Anna said...

This has been a bad movie year for me. I haven't seen a single one of them, except The Devil Wears Prada. How depressing.