Thursday, January 25, 2007

In the Pink

Probably one of the best days of my life was my 18th birthday. It was just a perfect day. But coming in a close second was the day that Sephora opened its doors in Nashville, TN. Seriously, I would say that I was like a kid in a candy store, but having never been a big candy eater, I'll say I was like me as an 8-year-old in a store full of Barbie Dolls.
Some of the newness of Nashville's Sephora store has worn off, but I still have a twinge of unhappiness if I am for some reason in the Green Hills area, but can't swing over to Sephora for a visit. In fact, I have a Sephora gift card that I got for Christmas that has just been burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm holding off as long as I can before I spend it.

To tempt and tantalize me, I get weekly emails from Sephora with new product reviews, and this week's email featured a few rose-colored hued makeup palettes I thought I'd share with you all!
The first is a delicious combo of colors from Too-Faced. I am a sucker for all-in-one pallettes because I am anal retentive when it comes to co-ordinating my eye, lips, and cheek color. These pinkish-hued neutrals go well with the majority of my wardrobe, and okay, I'm also slightly drawn to this product because of its pink packaging. So sue me. For just under 30 smackeroos, you get 2 concealers, blush, 2 powder eyeliners, a brow duo, 3 eyeshadows, and 2 lipglosses. Best of all, you save time when packing for the gym by tossing this baby in with your foundation and you're good to go! (Is anyone else as sick as I am of those annoying Taco Bell commercials??)
The other item that popped out to me was Benefit's Hopelessly devoted to pink. Quite simply, it's a pallette of pretty pink shades for the eyes and lips, and again, goes well with the bulk of my wardrobe.
Disclaimer (and I don't even know 'er): Wearing pink eye shadow can be a tricky feat, as you don't want to look
a) like you're suffering from uber-contagious conjunctivitis, or
b) like you're posing as an albino rabbit.
The trick is to keep the pink on the eyelids light, and play up the pink lips and cheeks to achieve an eye-catching monochomatic look that's fresh and fun without being scary.
Happy Beautifying! (and PS, MA- look who finally got the hang of linking pictures to their respective websites? wahooo!)

4 comments:

Mary Anna said...

I LOVE the new Benefit palette! And I'm so proud of you for linking up the pics! Here's a secret---if you put this: "target="_blank" (quotation marks included) after all of your links, they'll pop up in a new window, keeping people on your blog!

Mark Kelly Hall said...

I'm just here for the html tips...I swear! Thanks, Mary Anna!

And Amanda...I pretty much skimmed the details on this one...but I would say that I'm thankful for women like you who know the difference between enhancing beauty artificially and creating it ex nihilo. Not like yours needs enhancing in the first place, but if you must.

Here's a tip you can tuck away for your twilight years: if you ever get to the point where you're seriously considering shaving your eyebrows and penciling new ones in, it's time to give up. On the other hand, by the time you get there either no-brows will be the fashion or you'll be able to buy Lee Press-On Brows.

Mark

Bethany said...

Was your 18th b-day when we kidnapped you first thing in the morning for breakfast? I can't remember.....

Amanda said...

Betty- YES! That was the best birthday ever! The kidnapping, the O'Charleys lunch brought to school, the cake in choir, and culminating in the surprise party complete with b&b tag! ha ha