Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Blindsighted with this song... and lint

Today was a very sad day for me. I had to bust out the wool winter coat for the first time this year. It also was the first day for my winter staple wardrobe to emerge: the jeans and turtleneck combo. Today's choice: Black- slimming, and sheik. It's also a recipe for a lint disaster with black clothes and long blonde hairs that show up on everything. My personal favorite quote of the day occurred during an impromptu Panera lunch with fellow DIVA Ari regarding said lint:

"Me and my lint brush are going to spend some quality time together when I get back to the office."

In other bits of random news surrounding the blogging-neglectful-DIVA, the 80's song Blinded By the Light has been following me everywhere. I heard it 3 times on my way down to Florida this weekend, and it popped up again last night in a movie I was watching. What's so funny about this, is that for the life of me I could not understand the words to the chorus of the song. Here's what I thought they were saying:

Blinded by the light. Wrapped up like a duschon in the rumor of the night. (I know, right? What's a duschon? Well, it's kind of like an Ex-pecks-a-pounder.)

I texted Ari on Saturday morning when the song came on the radio for the second time, knowing she'd be awake, and knowing that she'd have the answer. Turns out, the lyrics are actually:

Blinded by the light. Revved up like a duce, another runner in the night. Yeah... cause that makes SO much more sense! But really, the important question is, who's excited about the return of the random afternoon blogging?

9 comments:

lisathom said...

wow- is THAT what is says?!
i too, am sporting a turtleneck and dress pants, to be transitioned to the t'neck and jeans combo for Kairos tonight...love the Fall...HATE being cold!

Anonymous said...

i thought it was another roamer in the night... guess i was wrong as well. i love winter clothes!!
--laura

MamaB said...

I thought it was "wrapped up like a duce, another roamer in the night". I heard it too on my way home from Indiana...I hate that song no matter what the lyrics are. And you did look so chic last night in your turtleneck, jeans, boots and pea coat combo!!!
I HATE WINTER..I already miss my basketball and rhs tennis shorts.

Anonymous said...

it is "roamer," i've been misquoted! i demand a retraction!!! and you did look great in your turtleneck at lunch.
~ari

Jordan & Bethany said...

It reminds me of the oft-mis quoted "Tiny Dancer" by elton John. I've heard people think that the line "Hold me closer tiny dancer" was actually "hold me close, don't tie me down, son," or my personal fave, "hold me closer, Tony Danza."

Mark Kelly Hall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Kelly Hall said...

I was too lazy to dig into the box of sweater/turtleneck items this morning...but I did consider it.

The trouble with people like us (not an insult, stay with me) is we expect other people to put as much effort into making sense to the outside world as we do. And lines like "Revved up like a deuce another runner in the night" prove this is an incorrect assumption, especially when it comes to pop music lyrics. Guess it made sense to the writer at the time (or he didn't care).

What made this one even tougher to deal with is the singer pronounces "deuce" with a "sh" sound at the end...so to me it sounds like "Wrapped up like a..." well, you know.

It works the other way, too. CSNY did that song "Teach Your Children" and the line is "the one they picks"...which is what it sounds like, but I thought "surely it can't be 'picks'"...then I read not long ago it's supposed to be like an old English folk song...maybe a Cockney thing. Like how would we know THAT?

Here's the site for misheard lyrics:
http://www.kissthisguy.com

P.S.: Unsolicited correction not otherwise covered in comments: blindsided

And a preventive one for the future:
copyright, copyrighted (as in legally protected works)
copywrite, copywriter (as in creating text for ads, etc.)

Welcome back! : )

Mary Anna said...

This reminds me of a conversation shared between a diva and a queen recently: your kiss, your kiss is on my lips...er list...

Rhonda said...

I think you'll get a kick out of this: http://www.snorgtees.com/blindedbythelight-p-438.html