Thursday, March 28, 2013

Little Law School Lesson #1

Last night I learned something about the definition for first degree murder that I thought I would share with you all.  I've been mis-reading, or rather mis-interpreting, the definition for first degree (i.e. premeditated) murder for years.  I guess I'd never seen the legal definition spelled out in print before and always just heard the legal analysts referring to it during the hubbub surrounding a high profile murder case, so here it is.  I always thought it was "the killing of another with malice or forethought."  Turns out, it's actually "malice aforethought."  Who knew?  Ironically, what I thought the definition was saying, and what it actually says is the same thing, which works out nicely in my favor.

This has been your free piece of legal advice for the day.  Consider yourself just a teensy bit more educated than you were a few seconds ago.  And now back to studying I go!

No comments: