Yesterday's commute home will be one I won't forget. I watched the snow start to fall downtown around 3 p.m., and within half an hour, the roads were starting to get white, and the tops of the roofs below were solid white. I knew I was in for trouble and should have left at the first sign of bad weather. Problem is, we've had so much snow this year already, that I was hesitant to leave early and miss more work for nothing. As it turns out, yesterday was not "nothing." I finished what I needed to do, including some crapy last minute stuff for an ungrateful person, and then I was out the door a little before 3:45 p.m.
After I hit the hour mark in my car, not even making it out of downtown Nashville, I settled in for a long evening. The radio weather and traffic reports were so rushed and incomplete, that it only frustrated me, so I resolved myself to listening to cds to calm my nerves. I made it through 3 cds during the drive home!An hour and a half later, I made it onto the interstate. At least then I started to crawl along at a steady pace. 5 miles per hour on the interstate, but at least it wasn't the gridlocked parking lot that downtown was.
Somewhere along I-65, and after nightfall, I hit the 2 hour mark. The snow continued to fall, and I kept having to turn on my rear defrost to keep my back window clear. I saw abandoned cars, and passed several wrecks along the way.
Pulling off I-65 around 6:30 p.m. was one of the happiest moments of my life! It was then that I realized just how hungry I was, and just how bad I had to pee. I think my nerves had kept both of those things in check til now. It also hit me that I could have made it to Lexington, Kentucky in the time that it had taken me to get home today.
Finally, at 7:15pm, 3 and 1/2 hours later, I made it home. My friend Lisa wins the award for longest commute home yesterday, at 5.75 hours in her car, and Queen MAB went 3 miles in 3 hours. Let's just say I made the executive decision to stay home today after dealing with that nightmare last night.
2 comments:
oh my goodness, the roads were hossible! glad you made it back ok! enjoy your day with Bradley!
This makes me laugh now that I live in Illinois. I remember those days! Around here drivers still fly on home like it's no big deal... what a change for me! Glad you made it home safe... I know how nerve wracking that can be!
Post a Comment