Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Nightmare on Elmo Street

Ever wonder what kids dream about, or worse- what gives them nightmares?  What's so traumatic about being three, you might wonder, that it would rouse you from a dead sleep?  Well I'm glad you asked.

Two nights ago Bradley woke up crying in the middle of the night.  When I got to his room, in between the sobs, he exclaimed, "I don't like my little monster truck!  I want a big monster truck!"  Now mind now, it's not like he's in a "monster truck phase" or something.  He rarely plays with trucks, so this was totally out of the blue.  Good thing it was dark so B couldn't see me laughing silently at his predicament.

He settled down pretty quickly and fell back asleep.  The next morning I asked him if he remembered dreaming about monster trucks, and I asked him what upset him so much.  He told me that he dreamed he had taken a monster truck from a little girl, and that Grandma B took the truck away from him!  At this, I couldn't stifle my laughter.  Since Grandma is almost always the good guy, and I as the single parent, am always the bad guy, I relished this opportunity to laugh at Bradley being so upset with her.

So that, my friends, is what three year old nightmares are all about, and apparently Grandma B is the Freddy Krueger of Elmo Street.

1 comment:

MamaB said...

I've been called a lot of things but "Freddy Krueger" is a new one. I'm sure you and Laura had all kinds of names for me when you were growing up.