Sunday, September 25, 2011

A tale of two trees


I found this picture of a tree.  How would you describe it?  Green-  leafy- alive?  Now what if I told you it was an apple tree?  What good is a barren apple tree?  What use is a tree bread to bear bruit that for whatever reason, doesn't?


I have pondered this question a lot lately in relation to my faith. 


There are a ton of verses in the Bible that mention our faith in relation to bearing fruit. Sure, the ultimate goal for us is to accept Christ as our savior, and in doing that, we become truly alive.  We are born into a new life that even death cannot take away, but once we reach that point, are we really living, or are we just green trees?  Sure, we may weather the seasons, and get our nutrients, and even grow some... but what if the purpose for which we were created was never fulfilled?  Christ may be our savior, but is He our Lord?  And if not, does that really matter?  I mean, our salvation is already assured, right?


When we become a Christian, we accept Jesus as our savior, but to allow Him to be Lord (master) of our lives, means we have to have a deeper relationship with Him; we have to nuture that relationship, feed it, prune it, and in other words, we have to bear fruit.


If we don't bear fruit, we are living a shadow of a life.  And I for one am tired of being a living, albeit barren, apple tree.  I'm ready to fulfill my destiny which God had in mind when He created me.  And I'll know when I get there. Galatians is pretty clear of the signs:

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Shown at the right is the exact same apple tree.  I've got a ways to go.  I've already got a savior.  Now I need a Lord ... and maybe some apple pie a la mode.

No comments: