Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Happy Hearts Day

I have to admit, I was dreading Valentine's Day.  Yes, I know, it's a pointless Hallmark holiday, but when you're single (again) it only serves to remind you of your own singleness.  For the past 3 years, I had a "Valentine."  And this year would be different. 

I came downstairs on Valentine's Day morning, and was wearing a bronze-colored headband. 

Mommy, is that your crown, Bradley asked.  Are you a princess?

Yes, yes I am, I happily replied, and you are mommy's little prince.

That innocent comment from my sweet boy just made my day, and helped me start off the day right.  I met Queen MAB for lunch and got a buy-one-get-one-free lunch at Qdoba for giving her, my "valentine," an air smooch.  (I believe they're called a bisou, Em?) And at work we were even given a small vase with pink roses and lilies that was a welcome addition to my desk this week.

So all in all, it really was a wonderful day.  And I came to realize that celebrating Valentine's doesn't have to be about spending money on a romantic partner (the Eros kind of love), but it can just be about embracing the day of Love (and PINK!) and celebrating it with those you love in a different way (the Agape, or Fileo).  And I also came to the realization that Valentine's Day really only matters if you're single, or in a brand new relationship.  The world wants you to think that it's a huge deal, and that if you're the husband that forgets Valentine's Day, you'll be in the dog house all year long, but the married couples that I know don't make a big deal about it all.  So I shouldn't either.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Bisou it is! :)

Bobvark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaB said...

You had a "valentine" this year as well as all your years growing up. "Valentines" come in all shapes and sizes!