Right around the time I started high school, those awful Birkenstock moccasins had come in style, and so one summer during a visit with Peggy and Jack, we went to the mall, to the Parisians where Jack worked at the time, and he was able to get Laura and I each a pair of those Birkenstocks for a great discounted price. Up til now, I had a knock-off pair of the Birkenstock "Jesus sandals" that had been popular, but now I was the proud owner of these new Birkenstock moccasins. I wore these shoes out! My good friend Bethany and I even had an inside joke where we referred to our moccasins as "Mat Hollis' shoes." These shoes absolutely define my high school years.
With uncle Jack's passing, it made me think about shoes, and how a particular style can mark an era in your life. For me, these would be:
- Jellies (which I wore out playing in the backyard during my young Tennessee summers)
- Keds (reminiscent of my years at Lakeview Elementary)
- Mary Janes (Oh, the awkward middle school Cameron years!)
- The Birkenstock moccasins (high school)
- New Balance tennis shoes (the college years... On, On, U of K!)
- Clark's Wallabies (My casual twenties)