Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ate, Prayed, Loved

I just got back from Lexington to visit my college roommate Stephanie.  It was my last hurrah girls' weekend before starting work tomorrow.  (EEK!)    Ashley and Stephanie went to HS together, and Ashley aka "Argo" lives about 45 minutes south of me, so conveniently, she picked me up on Friday, and up to Kentucky we went.  She and I have hung out a few times throughout the years of knowing Stephanie mutually, but after 3 1/2 hours in the car each way with Argo, we never once turned on the radio, and I feel like we both know each other's life stories now!  Stephanie is the friend from college who got me into the most trouble, has the most crazy stories from those times shared in common with me.  We lose touch and then pick up right where we left off.  Argo and I were her first house guests in her new home, so she went all out making the place ready for us.  We felt loved!

We rolled into Lex-Vegas about 11:30pm EST Friday night.  I figured this meant we'd visit for a few minutes and then turn in for the night, but oh no!  We girls sipped frozen daquiris and stayed up till wee hours of the morning talking, catching up, and best of all, reminiscing through old photo albums, laughing at funny stories we'd forgotten, and being shocked at how skinny we looked in college pictures when at the time we all thought we were fat!  Stephanie had purchased a ton of snack food for us, most of which we didn't have time to eat this weekend, the time flew by so fast.  I am still sad about those individual cups of Ben & Jerry's sitting in Steph's fridge right now that we didn't get to enjoy!

Stephanie, the consummate hostess, even had little umbrellas for our drinks!
,  
Saturday morning we ate breakfast, and then set about packing a huge cooler full of food and drinks to take with us to the pool that day.  By the time we got everything, it was about noon, and the rain rolled in around 4pm, giving us a shorter day in the sun than we had planned, but it was still a relaxing afternoon, and cheap entertainment for all of us who are poor!  Another friend/college roomie Ellen met us at the pool after attending a Beth Moore conference at Rupp arena.  Guess what BMo's conference theme was?  You guessed it, "Eat, Pray, Love."  This theme kept coming up this weekend.
L to R:  Yours truly, Steph, Ellen, & Argo
The rain came down, so home we went.  Our original plan when discussing this upcoming weekend was for all of us to go see Sex & The City 2 at the dollar theater in Lexington.  Well horror of all horrors, the day before we got there, they stopped playing it.  We exhausted every resource, calling theaters, the cable company, Netflix, and even discussed driving an hour and a half to Cincinnati to see it since it was still showing there... but logically that didn't make sense to drive so far for a dollar movie when all of us were broke!  So we checked other movies, and found a cheap showing of Eat, Pray, Love that we decided on.  Ashley & I had both read the book, so we agreed this was a good chick flick weekend substitute. 
Again, in keeping with the theme of having low budgets and way too much food at the house, we decided to make dinner in lieu of spending money out to eat.  Plan A was to grill out.  But the monsoon hitting just at the right time forced us to pick Plan B.  Plan B was taking all of the fresh produce Argo had brought from her family's produce market, and combining that with food on hand, and creating a delicious dinner.  Somehow I became in charge of this, and Steph helped me put together a fresh salad, and a pasta primavera that I made up the recipe to as I went!  It turned out quite nicely, and encouraged me that maybe I do possess that cooking gene somewhere that Mom & Laura seem to obviously have!
Before we ate, I prayed over our meal, thanking God for good food, and good friendships.
After dinner, we had just enough time to shower and get ready to hit the movies.  The best part of seeing a chick flick we agreed was seeing all the great previews for all the other chick flicks coming to a theater near you soon!  In regards to Eat, Pray, Love, I read the book and (ate, prayed,) Loved it.  It's a quick read, and a true story.  Of course plot lines were squashed in order to fit into a film format, and a few changes to the story were made, but I liked them.  I think the differences from the book and the movie allowed it to flow and made a neater package of the storyline.  Bonuses are that the scenery is gorgeous, and Julia Roberts is one of my favorite actresses.

In case you don't know, Eat Pray Love is about a woman who goes off to find herself after a traumatic break-up and divorce. It was very fitting for me to see in my current season of life. Some parts of the movie were hard to watch as the resemblances to my own experiences were a little too close. Other parts were very encouraging though. Like I said, this theme just kept hitting me in the face all weekend!
One nit picky observation I will point out about the film is this: there is a fantastic scene during the Italy portion of the movie where Julia Roberts' character devours a plate of spaghetti . As she dives into her plate of pasta, immediately the sounds of Mozart's famous "Queen of the Night aria" from the Magic Flute begins. It's fast and furious, and the perfect background to a woman voraciously eating spaghetti, with one problem; The aria's in German. The scenery is Italian. I know I'm probably the only person in the theater who picked up on this fact, but in all the amazing Italian opera repertoire out there, the musical directors couldn't find a single piece of Italian opera music to use in this scene? At least they could have used a version of the Queen of the Night sung in Italian to keep the same ferocity of the music. Anyways, it's a picky observation, but as one who has sung opera and studied Italian, it annoyed me!!

By the time the movie was over, it was 12:30, and we were yawning and stretching walking out of the theater, agreeing on dashing any plans we might have had to go out. In front of us leaving the theater was a group of middle aged woman, who were also complaining about it being so late, and their being so tired. Steph, Argo, and I looked at each other and laughed, realizing we weren't too far from them!

After several bad takes, this cutsie pose with our hands clasped was one we could all agree on!
We stayed up until 2am, eating more, and looking at Argo's wedding pictures on dvd... this would be the LOVE portion of the weekend... as in, checking out the photos of the newlyweds in love, and the fact that I Love looking at other people's wedding pictures!  Sunday morning came too soon, but it was time for us working women to get on the road.  It was a quick trip, and a low key weekend, but just what the doctor ordered for me.  I ate.  I prayed.  I was loved.  Thanks Steph, Ashley, & Ellen for a great visit!

2 comments:

stephw22 said...

Perhaps this blog should've been entitled, "Ate, Prayed, Loved, and Ate Again" :)

-Stephanie

Katie said...

I love it Bradley! Sounds like an awesome weekend! Come back for Keeneland in October and we'll get Ari here. I'm thinking about you and praying that God blesses you abundantly. Lots of love and hugs. - Katie