Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hearts apart

So apparently we have hit a big milestone in our deployment (the amount of time I have been gone). As many of you know (and the few that will read this) I don't blog much (I think I have like twice) but thought I would give this a shot. I can't post pictures and don't have any funny sayings and can't talk about what I do or even what the weather is like so really this stands to be a short and boring blog that at the end of it you will wish you had not wasted your time. I always tell Amanda that every day is like groundhog day. I wake up around X time and shower in a make-shift bathroom then walk back to my shack where I put on the same uniform before having a cup of coffee and eating my breakfast that for some is their dinner or lunch. Everyday I have about the same food. I do not want any hamburgers when I get back. I drive my sweet humvee with no doors into work where I do what I gotta do then contemplate the vastness of space and time. I have a Mountain Dew in the afternoon and then in the evening a Dr. Pepper and two chocolate chip cookies.
Which brings me to a nice note. Every day around the same time I go and get a sandwich and it is always the same kind (provided they have the lunch meat I want). There I grab two cookies...normally. Recently they have been running low or even out of them when I go. I asked the lunch lady (and not Chris Farley) if she had more. She goes in the cupboard and opens a box, looks around and gives me a six pack of them. This happened about two weeks ago and every day since she has set aside just for me a six pack of Otis Spunkmire chocolate chip cookies.
This brought me to a hard point that we often forget in life. Our mood, although often influenced by things around us, is ultimately up to us. We should make the best of each day we have and find joy in the little things.

1 comment:

Amanda Vilendrer said...

Yay! I'm so glad you blogged. It's always good for me to be reminded to look for the daily blessings, even when things seem discouraging.