Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Time in Tennessee

Bradley and I came up for a week-long visit to Tennessee this past week. Since I'm currently job hunting, I wasn't sure how much longer I'd be able to take off and come up there for an extended amount, so we took advantage of having the time now. We got up there on Sunday evening, Bradley's birthday. Laura made her famous quesadillas, guacamole, rice and beans. It was delicious as usual, and I always get full before I can eat as much as I want. After dinner Bradley was allowed to have one birthday cupcake so Laura & George could see him dive into the chocolate since they couldn't be at Bradley's party. I have to say, the second time around was a little lackluster, both on the part of the audience and the birthday boy!

Bradley also got to open his gifts from Laura & George. The little man was way more interested in the envelopes from the birthday cards! He couldn't really stand up yet behind the Fischer Price lawnmower that Lu got him (a favorite from her childhood) so we posed him behind it for a picture, then pushed it back and forth and played with the bubbles.

Grandma B got this little rocking horse (rocking dog?? What does one call this toy?) to keep at her house, and besides this big grin as a first impression, Bradley hasn't shown much interest in it since.
George, however, loved the toy!
The next few days were pretty here (a welcome change from the wet spring Nashvillians have suffered). We took B to the pool and he liked playing in the baby pool and watching all the other kids there.

One perk to going home is that I don't have to cook! I get treated to amazing homecooked meals by mom & Laura, coupled with being able to dine out at some of my favorite places. While in TN I visisted Bluecoast Burrito, Royal Thai, Five Guys, and Mcdougal's, plus ate homemade grilled tilapia and couscous (yes, I ate FISH- can you believe it?), and round steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, fried okra and squash. I was in food heaven!

Tuesday night Laura and I went to Kairos at BBC. It still amazes and humbles me to see so many people my age (okay, let's be realistic; most of them are younger than me these days) at church on a Tuesday night. They come from all over Nashville to be fed spiritually, and Mike kicked off this night with the start to their summer series on relationships. With over a thousand bodies filling the hall, and getting to see the new Connection Center, I was overwhelmed with how much this ministry has grown.

Back at the house, here's B and Grandma B, checking out the backyard landscaping.

Bradley loves his quality time with Grandpa B. Favorite pasttimes include wagon rides, and swinging on the porch swing, or in the new baby swing.

On Wednesday I was able to meet Mary Anna & Emily for lunch at Logan's then we treated ourselves to desert at Las Paletas. I can't believe I had never sampled one of these original Nashville treats, but the fresh popsicles were amazing. They are homemade and come in all sorts of quirky flavors that change from day to day. One on the menu today was rose petal. I wasn't sure I was ready to see what rose petal tasted like, so I had the creamy lime instead. MA sampled the oatmeal cookie, and Emily had the pistachio. It was so good to see both of these lovely ladies and catch up on life over a quick lunch and culimate our time with this delectable desert.

I also got to visit with Rhonda Lu this week twice- once pre-surgery at my house, then once post-surgery at her place. (She had outpatient surgery on her leg Wednesday of last week.) The visits were both short and sweet, but I'm so glad we found time to see each other.

Bradley was especially curious of the doggie door this visit! He did well around the dogs and even played ball with Julius one afternoon.

Friday mom and I had McDougal's chicken fingers for lunch (Bradley tried a little bit of everything and liked it too) and then we took Bradley to Pinkerton Park in Franklin to play.

Bradley really enjoyed the plastic drums they had there.

We had a relaxing week, ate a lot of good food, and had a great visit with friends and family. It was so good to see everyone and we miss you all already, and can't wait for our next visit.

1 comment:

MamaB said...

We had such a good week. I was looking at pictures on my camera and it made me sad. I miss you all!